16 April 2008

Nature Journal

Nature study has been the one area that I feel has been the most lacking in our school year, and was actually one of the subjects I was most excited about in the beginning! So lately I've been trying to figure out how to do better next year, and I've become more inspired to work on my own nature notebook, and to encourage Kathryn to work on hers. Today when we were doing copywork, she really liked the poem, so I suggested she copy the stanza that she said reminded her of this time of year, and add a little artwork to it for her nature notebook. And she did:nature journal entryAlso, I across Harmony Art Mom's blog with some great ideas, including a weekly outdoor challenge. So we did it! This week's challenge was "One Small Square" so Kathryn measured out four feet of yarn, and then marked off one square foot of our yard to see what we could see.marking off a squareWe poked around using a weeding tool, investigated more closely with a magnifying glass, and listed everything we found in our square. Kathryn brought a couple of things in the house to draw. Here is her list and drawings, which we also added to her nature notebook:
one small square

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top