This weekend we went camping with some other families from our church's wonderful homeschool support group. They schedule two camping trips each year: one in the spring, and one in the fall. This time there were 12 families, with a whole bunch of "young 'uns" ranging from toddlers to teens. We hadn't signed up when this trip was first planned, but one of the families who signed up couldn't go, and wanted to give away their spot. We talked about it and although we had never gone camping before, we decided this would be a great time to try it. Ken occasionally went camping as a kid, but I never did, and we've never gone as a family! Brandon had to work, so he wasn't able to come with us, but we hope he can work it out to come next time. We also hope to get Lacy more accustomed to going places so that she can start going with us, too! (Thank you to the Koch's for loaning us a tent, and to the Berryman's for giving us their spot!)
We had so much fun! Everything was exciting and new for Kathryn, and there were so many kids there for her to play with! A playground sat right in the middle of all the campsites, so we could keep an eye on the kids without hovering. Kathryn thought that sleeping in a tent, and getting to use her sleeping bag were SO cool!
She found caterpillars as soon as we got there, so she was really happy about that, too. There were nature trails nearby, and one led to a lake where Kathryn and Ken went fishing! (I followed along later with the camera.) Look how pretty this is!
While at the lake, we saw fish jumping (smart ones, apparently, since they didn't take the bait!), an empty turtle shell, a couple of tadpoles, and turtles sunning on a log. This was her first time fishing, and she was a little disappointed that she didn't catch anything, but she really did great at learning to cast!
The next day, Ken & Kathryn went on a nature walk and saw more turtles, squirrels, birds, a green anole (which we mistakenly thought was a chameleon) that kept changing from brown to green and back again (it changes color based on body temperature), and a sleepy rat snake.
We've taught Kathryn to have a healthy respect for snakes, but not to be terrified of them. My dad taught me that from the time I was little, and I often played with little garter snakes. (I admit that if a poisonous one ventures into our yard, he will be killed, but we leave the non-venomous ones alone.)
One really neat thing we did was go on a guided tour of the historical home located at the A.H. Stephens State Park, which is where we were camping. Our guide was great; this was the most interesting historical tour I've ever been on! Kathryn got a lot out of it, too. The pre-Civil War era home is restored, and many of the furnishings in it are original to the home (I love antiques!). Not only did we tour the actual home, but also the attached library (with the coolest ladder I've ever seen!), the kitchen, the gas pump building that ran all the lights in the house, the wash-house, and some slave homes. I admit I had never heard of A.H. Stephens, but we learned quite a bit about him on our tour. He was vice-president of the Confederacy, and later was governor of Georgia. He suffered many ailments and accidents, but lived to be 71. Though a small and sickly man, Stephens never backed down from a fight, and even survived being stabbed 16 times in the chest!
He maintained a "tramp's room" in his home for anyone traveling through to stay the night and have a good hot meal; sent many folks (including women) to school (and helped found Brenau University); cared for orphaned neices & nephews; adopted and raised a half-brother as his son. The slaves he owned were treated as fairly as possible; once the slaves were emancipated, all chose to stay with Stephens. He paid for the children of his former slaves to go to college, and one of them became a well-respected doctor in New York. The tour really was fascinating, and Ken took LOTS of pictures there, but the one here is from inside the home of Harry & Eliza (parents of the NY doctor), who were the overseer and main cook. (That's a photo of them over the fireplace.)
My sweet husband cooked all of our meals.
Cooking over the open fire was a bit of a challenge, but everything was very tasty, and I think he had fun with it! Kathryn and I took care of making dessert: S'MORES!!! She'd never roasted marshmallows or had REAL s'mores before. I know, I know... what kind of mother am I!?! But I'm making up for it now! Just look at this face--Kathryn's first taste of real, campfire-made s'mores. YUM!!! (Note the melted marshmallow goo on her cheek!):

We had so much fun! Everything was exciting and new for Kathryn, and there were so many kids there for her to play with! A playground sat right in the middle of all the campsites, so we could keep an eye on the kids without hovering. Kathryn thought that sleeping in a tent, and getting to use her sleeping bag were SO cool!
She found caterpillars as soon as we got there, so she was really happy about that, too. There were nature trails nearby, and one led to a lake where Kathryn and Ken went fishing! (I followed along later with the camera.) Look how pretty this is!While at the lake, we saw fish jumping (smart ones, apparently, since they didn't take the bait!), an empty turtle shell, a couple of tadpoles, and turtles sunning on a log. This was her first time fishing, and she was a little disappointed that she didn't catch anything, but she really did great at learning to cast!
The next day, Ken & Kathryn went on a nature walk and saw more turtles, squirrels, birds, a green anole (which we mistakenly thought was a chameleon) that kept changing from brown to green and back again (it changes color based on body temperature), and a sleepy rat snake.
We've taught Kathryn to have a healthy respect for snakes, but not to be terrified of them. My dad taught me that from the time I was little, and I often played with little garter snakes. (I admit that if a poisonous one ventures into our yard, he will be killed, but we leave the non-venomous ones alone.)
One really neat thing we did was go on a guided tour of the historical home located at the A.H. Stephens State Park, which is where we were camping. Our guide was great; this was the most interesting historical tour I've ever been on! Kathryn got a lot out of it, too. The pre-Civil War era home is restored, and many of the furnishings in it are original to the home (I love antiques!). Not only did we tour the actual home, but also the attached library (with the coolest ladder I've ever seen!), the kitchen, the gas pump building that ran all the lights in the house, the wash-house, and some slave homes. I admit I had never heard of A.H. Stephens, but we learned quite a bit about him on our tour. He was vice-president of the Confederacy, and later was governor of Georgia. He suffered many ailments and accidents, but lived to be 71. Though a small and sickly man, Stephens never backed down from a fight, and even survived being stabbed 16 times in the chest!
He maintained a "tramp's room" in his home for anyone traveling through to stay the night and have a good hot meal; sent many folks (including women) to school (and helped found Brenau University); cared for orphaned neices & nephews; adopted and raised a half-brother as his son. The slaves he owned were treated as fairly as possible; once the slaves were emancipated, all chose to stay with Stephens. He paid for the children of his former slaves to go to college, and one of them became a well-respected doctor in New York. The tour really was fascinating, and Ken took LOTS of pictures there, but the one here is from inside the home of Harry & Eliza (parents of the NY doctor), who were the overseer and main cook. (That's a photo of them over the fireplace.)My sweet husband cooked all of our meals.
Cooking over the open fire was a bit of a challenge, but everything was very tasty, and I think he had fun with it! Kathryn and I took care of making dessert: S'MORES!!! She'd never roasted marshmallows or had REAL s'mores before. I know, I know... what kind of mother am I!?! But I'm making up for it now! Just look at this face--Kathryn's first taste of real, campfire-made s'mores. YUM!!! (Note the melted marshmallow goo on her cheek!): 


