Do you ever set challenges for yourself? We do that in our home quite often, but some are more fun than others. My husband has recently begun a pretty fun challenge self-imposed challenge: to post a new photograph-a-day on his blog. I love today's entry (he took the photo yesterday). Another of my favorites is a creative one he did of my mom, my daughter, and me on Mother's Day. The header photo is also pretty awesome and the location is pretty special too, since that's where he proposed to me and where we later got married. {how sweet!} Go check out his blog and leave him a comment if you see something you like!
Now that I think of it, he sets a lot of fun challenges for himself. A few years ago, he decided to teach himself to play guitar. No lessons, just Ken. From there, he decided to learn to play the bass guitar, and now he's in the worship band at our church, which he really enjoys. Come to think of it, that was a challenge, too, because it's a big church and he had never done an audition! He didn't get put in the band immediately, but he was invited to attend rehearsals and kept practicing more at home; after a few months, he was officially "in" because he stuck with it.
About two weeks ago, our Sunday school teacher gave us a challenge: spend 30 days asking God to show us who he is through his Word. I accepted the challenge and it's been very rewarding. I've been choosing a different verse each day, and writing about it makes me spend more time on it than if I just sat there in my comfy chair and read the verse. Doing it the comfy-chair way, I tend to just think on it a minute, say "hmmm, good verse for today," and go on my merry way. But writing about it changes that. Even after this 30-day thing, I plan to keep doing something like this. You can see how that's going at my Rambling Rose blog.
My newest self-imposed challenge isn't all that fun - it involves the new exercise bike upstairs. I don't know yet if this thing is friend or foe. I considered beginning my challenge today, but I knew I'd be setting myself up for failure because there isn't even a radio up there yet, and I just can't exercise without music! Also, the thing is right in front of the window and I don't want the neighbors watching me pedal my way to nowhere. So today, we'll move it to a corner of the room, and bring a radio up there. Beginning tomorrow, the deal I've made myself is no blogging until I've exercised. I like blogging better than exercising. {grin} I've confessed my plans now, which means that I will have more incentive not to renegotiate the deal with myself because you will know about it! If only I could figure out how to prop my laptop right on top of the thing. I know I'm not coordinated enough to type and pedal simultaneously, but at least I could read other blogs!
So tell me, what challenges have you recently set for yourself, and how's it going for you? Or if you haven't recently set a new goal for yourself, how 'bout doing that now? You can tell us about it to help hold yourself accountable - like I'm doing with the exercising!

Now that I think of it, he sets a lot of fun challenges for himself. A few years ago, he decided to teach himself to play guitar. No lessons, just Ken. From there, he decided to learn to play the bass guitar, and now he's in the worship band at our church, which he really enjoys. Come to think of it, that was a challenge, too, because it's a big church and he had never done an audition! He didn't get put in the band immediately, but he was invited to attend rehearsals and kept practicing more at home; after a few months, he was officially "in" because he stuck with it.
About two weeks ago, our Sunday school teacher gave us a challenge: spend 30 days asking God to show us who he is through his Word. I accepted the challenge and it's been very rewarding. I've been choosing a different verse each day, and writing about it makes me spend more time on it than if I just sat there in my comfy chair and read the verse. Doing it the comfy-chair way, I tend to just think on it a minute, say "hmmm, good verse for today," and go on my merry way. But writing about it changes that. Even after this 30-day thing, I plan to keep doing something like this. You can see how that's going at my Rambling Rose blog.
My newest self-imposed challenge isn't all that fun - it involves the new exercise bike upstairs. I don't know yet if this thing is friend or foe. I considered beginning my challenge today, but I knew I'd be setting myself up for failure because there isn't even a radio up there yet, and I just can't exercise without music! Also, the thing is right in front of the window and I don't want the neighbors watching me pedal my way to nowhere. So today, we'll move it to a corner of the room, and bring a radio up there. Beginning tomorrow, the deal I've made myself is no blogging until I've exercised. I like blogging better than exercising. {grin} I've confessed my plans now, which means that I will have more incentive not to renegotiate the deal with myself because you will know about it! If only I could figure out how to prop my laptop right on top of the thing. I know I'm not coordinated enough to type and pedal simultaneously, but at least I could read other blogs!So tell me, what challenges have you recently set for yourself, and how's it going for you? Or if you haven't recently set a new goal for yourself, how 'bout doing that now? You can tell us about it to help hold yourself accountable - like I'm doing with the exercising!


