25 October 2008

Our School Week

I've never officially done a "weekly report", but I'm following my cousin Jonnia's lead and giving it a shot.

We've been doing one page out of our Horizons 3 Math book each day, which equates to half of a lesson. For other math practice, we've been using the multiplication math wraps, which are a nice change of pace. Baking is always a fun way to practice fractions, too. (Apple muffins, anyone?) Our nature study focus this week was apples and apple trees, which went along nicely with our apple muffins! See yesterday's post for more about our apple study.

Each day we practice handwriting. Sometimes that consists of a page in our Italic Book C workbook, but Kathryn had some lists and notes she wanted to write this week as well, so I let that count as handwriting one day this week.

Each week we have a character trait we focus on, and a verse we learn that goes along with that character trait. This week, we're focused on being "teachable" and our memory verse was Proverbs 19:20 ~ "Listen to advice and accept correction. Then in the end you will be wise."

We've been continuing our notebooking project on Native Americans. This week we continued to read Julie of the Wolves, but we also began learning about the Tlingit tribe and have decided that we would like their diet better than that of the Inuits. One of our projects was making a potlatch mask; the Tlingit would have worn these, along with some fancy and colorful clothes, to big community parties called potlatches. When we read about totem poles, I was impressed that Kathryn remembered another book related to the same subject. She found it and read me the myth of the Thunderbird. One windy afternoon this week, I got tickled when Kathryn came in from playing outside and told me she was an Inuit mother because she had her doll zipped inside her hooded jacket, like they do with their babies.For current events, Kathryn read Unit 2 (Egypt) and Unit 3 (Elections) in our God's World News "Taking Off" magazine. I love that she gets excited about these...
In addition to our scheduled Ambleside readings, Kathryn also did quite a bit of her own reading this week. She finished reading The Little Princess (illustrated by Tasha Tudor); I think I'm going to try to find the old Shirley Temple movie by the same name now that she's read the book. She devoured a few Molly books in the American Girl series, and began reading Follow My Leader, which is about a blind boy and his guide dog. She made up a secret code for her and a friend to use; it seemed to be inspired by a mix of braille and hieroglyphics, so I think her readings on Egypt, as well as the book about the guide dog influenced this secret code.

For music, Kathryn played a little piano, and chose to listen to our "Classics for Kids" CD. All in all, this was just another fun week of homeschooling!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top