07 October 2008

This Week So Far

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement on my last post. All of those NILMDTS sessions are hard, but what I feel is really just empathy for the families. And every time, before we go in (usually on the elevator ride up), Ken & I pray that we'll be a blessing to them, and we ask God to guide all our words and actions so that we don't inadvertently say or do anything careless. Please continue to keep that family in your prayers. Soon we'll be working on editing their photos and working on their slideshow. I have the perfect song in mind; one I love but have never been able to use because the words didn't fit the situation until this one. I do wish sometimes that I could share these with you, to see how beautiful they can be, but that's up to the family.

Now onto what we're doing so far in school this week:

We've been doing a few things in addition to our usual math and such, and I'm excited about a notebooking project we've just started. I found this one on a great site called Hands & Hearts; this company is owned by a neat family we had the opportunity to meet earlier this year when we did a photo session for their little boy Noah. We've never done one of these before, and it's fun! We're studying Native Americans this year, which also incorporates U.S. and Georgia history, and even a little genealogy. I'll count this notebooking project as some of our arts and crafts, too. We have several great places around here for field trip related to Native Americans, so I plan to take advantage of that as well.

sock monkey & bearA bigger-than-planned craft project this week was making a sock monkey. (See Sock Monkey's portrait here at Ken's Place.) As my regular blog readers know, we like sock monkeys around here... especially our sock monkey slippers! Kathryn has been wanting her own sock monkey for a really long time, so when I saw a kit to make your own sock monkey in JoAnn fabric & craft store, I knew she'd love it! She was very excited about it, but it was a little more complicated than I thought. Much of it involved trial and error, and because my sewing skills are not what I'd like them to be, I couldn't really explain what I was doing well enough to show her how to do it. She watched carefully, and she was able to help with some things, like sewing on the button eyes, and whipstitching around the feet. She has christened the sock monkey "Nora", named after the Nick-&-Nora brand of slippers & pj's.

This kit also came with materials to make a felt teddy bear for the sock monkey, and that was much simpler, so Kathryn was able to do almost all of the teddy bear herself.sewing a teddy bearI was feeling a bit run down the past few days, but conquering that dadgum sock monkey was a happy little victory for me, and my favorite daily tea--genmai--came in the mail today (I was completely out!), so all of that, combined with a nap on Sunday and a fairly relaxing day yesterday and today have perked me back up. I'm hoping to get outside to do more tree study this week, but I'm also really hoping the weather forecast predicting rain is correct. We need rain.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top