06 November 2008

Sincerely Fro ~ My Mom!

I'm playing along with Sincerely Fro' Me to You today in honor of my mom's birthday next week!

This first one was taken on Easter Sunday, after church, in the front yard of my grandparents' house. My mom looks very stylish, considering that this was the mid '70's! Check out that flipped 'do!
We've established in previous Sincerely Fro' posts that I was a runt, so I can't go by my size to figure out when this was taken. Based upon the fact that I'm wearing dangling earrings, and maybe a little lipstick, I think this may have been 8th grade. I remember having a "restaurant" in a room at school, and we were able to invite our mom or a grandmother to lunch. I don't remember all the details, but I was a waitress in the "restaurant", and I guess I must've really enjoyed it because I ended up working as a waitress for years as a young adult.
There is no good reason for me to like this next photo. It's not particularly flattering for either my mom or me. Dated hair and make-up, and taken on a day when we were cleaning out a new (but old) farmhouse we'd recently bought. [Yes, this house was part of the house-swap adventure! It was House X in that post, should you care to review the handy map.] My uncle Mike brought my Granny down to see the new place, and he took some photos that day. I remembered this one, and told Kathryn I was looking for it for this post. Upon seeing this photo, Kathyn said, "You were both having a frizzy hair day."
I explained, "No, that's just how we wore it back then. That was on purpose."
Long pause as she processes this bit of information.
"Well, then it's perfect for Sincerely Fro'!"

My girl. Gotta love her.

I think the reason I like the photo is that, although it seems I'm trying to give my mom the teenage eye-roll look, there's also a look of real affection there. We had our mom-daughter spats when I was a teenager, but mostly we had a good relationship, and now she's one of my most valued friends.

This last photo was taken about six years ago, at my grandparent's house.We both look pretty good--and less outdated--in this one, so I thought it would make Mom happy to end this post with a good one. Love you, Mom!!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top