This week we finished up our required number of school days and did our yearly standardized testing. We use the CAT from Seton Testing, then send it back in to be scored, and they will send us a copy of the results. Though the state of Georgia doesn't require us to do a standardized test until the end of third grade, I like to have it for our records, and I like Kathryn to be familiar with it so she doesn't stress out about it. I know kids in school who get really stressed when the standardized tests are coming up, but perhaps the teachers are putting pressure on them. Kathryn, however, was really looking forward to doing the test; oddly enough, I think it's one of the highlights of her year. Of course, in most schools, you don't get to wear a pirate costume during testing... (one of the myriad of reasons we love homeschooling!)
When wearing her pirate costume, Kathryn feels compelled to "ARRRRG" quite often, and every time I took her picture, this was the mean pirate face I got instead of her usual smile. Even with the pirate face, I still think she's adorable!
In the little scripted bit of the instructions, I read the part about "once you have finished, please sit quietly until the other students have finished." I was just being silly, since we have no other students, and Kathryn got tickled about it. So we told Lacy to please sit quietly until Kathryn was finished.
After we finished the test, I told Kathryn we were officially done with second grade; she was delighted that she could now call herself a third grader. We'll keep doing some school throughout the summer, but that will consist primarily of reading, nature study, some art or handicraft projects, and occasional refreshers on math skills.
When wearing her pirate costume, Kathryn feels compelled to "ARRRRG" quite often, and every time I took her picture, this was the mean pirate face I got instead of her usual smile. Even with the pirate face, I still think she's adorable!
In the little scripted bit of the instructions, I read the part about "once you have finished, please sit quietly until the other students have finished." I was just being silly, since we have no other students, and Kathryn got tickled about it. So we told Lacy to please sit quietly until Kathryn was finished.After we finished the test, I told Kathryn we were officially done with second grade; she was delighted that she could now call herself a third grader. We'll keep doing some school throughout the summer, but that will consist primarily of reading, nature study, some art or handicraft projects, and occasional refreshers on math skills.

