18 November 2009

PowWow with Dad

Last Saturday, Ken was at an overnight men's retreat, so the girls and I met my dad at a nearby American Indian festival. Usually we go to this on Mother's Day weekend, but this was the first year they held another one in November. I wouldn't have known about it if Dad hadn't told me, and I think he only knew about it because he's friends with the guy who organized it. This "Veterans Pow Wow and Warrior Salute" began with a prayer, then an opening dance that included veterans from many wars carrying flags, led by the United States flag. I loving hearing prayers in other languages; part of the prayer was offered in the Sioux language.
PowWow flags
more powwow flags
Any veteran, anyone who ever served in the military or still does, every police officer, firefighter, etc., were all invited to join in. Then those who wanted to honor a loved one who had served were also invited. I considered joining in to honor my Grandaddy, but I decided to stay where I was and just take pictures.

At first, Kathryn was a little un-nerved by what she called screaming during the singing. I explained that it was just a celebratory sounds, like us saying, "woohoo!" She got used to it after a few minutes, and enjoyed the rest of the music and singing (as long as we weren't too close to the speakers; she doesn't like anything loud).

I always love watching the dancers.
PowWow dancing
These girls were in the "fancy dancer" competition:
powwow dance competition
We visited Thunder the bison, but he only wanted to lie down and munch hay. Not exciting. We browsed the craft booths, and all found things that we liked, but I had left the checkbook at home, which was actually probably a good --or at least frugal-- thing. My favorite thing was a little cornshuck doll made into an angel and wearing a pale-colored buckskin dress. I want to learn to make one.

Dad bought us all some fry bread, which is like a flat funnel cake if you sprinkle powdered sugar on it -- yum! Lindsey ate boiled peanuts. (I do not share her appreciation of them!) I snapped this photo when Dad and Lindsey were laughing at me because when I stick my lens cap in the pocket of my jeans, apparently it looks like I have a snuff can in my pocket. N-I-C-E.
peanuts

Kathryn couldn't resist a pony ride (she takes after me in my love for horses!):
pony ride
I consider this family fun that counts as a field trip. Isn't that one of the great things about homeschooling? The lines blur between "school" and "life." I could never have a blog JUST for homeschooling because I don't always know where that ends. And that's exactly how I like it.

If you'd like to see more photos from the festival, pop on over to see them in my flickr set here.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top