As homeschoolers, we've all heard it... what about socialization? Well, what is more important in the long-range: that my child can relate to a room full of kids exactly the same age, or that my child can relate to people of ALL ages? I thought about this on Thursday as we drove back from a lovely day spent with Ken's grandparents, who live about two hours south of us. Aren't they adorable?
MawMaw and Papa have been married nearly 62 years (as of next month), and have lived in this same house, built by Papa, that whole time. In this house, they have raised four children, loved on lots of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and eaten a whole lot of world-famous (almost!) biscuits that MawMaw makes from scratch every day! They are some of the sweetest, kindest, most Christ-loving people I have ever known, and I am so blessed to have married into their family.
While we were there, we ate dinner (that's lunch for the city folks) made by MawMaw and blessed by Papa. When we were stuffed, we sat out on the porch for a while sipping on sweet tea. Brandon and Ken took turns riding Papa's gas-powered scooter while Kathryn enjoyed a chat with Papa. At Ken's request, MawMaw played a little for us on the piano (she is the piano player for her church), and then at my request, showed us all some really great old family photos. I brought a lot of them home to scan... some need restoration, but others I just want to enlarge and frame. I was blessed by listening to her stories about her family, and about what it was like when she was a little girl. She & I continued talking and looking at pictures; meanwhile the others went out to the porch and Ken & Papa played guitar. Kathryn & Brandon listened (and sometimes sang along) as they swang. Later, MawMaw also gave us girls a little crochet lesson: not enough so that I can do it, but enough to make me want to learn how. The baby blankets she makes are beautiful! And Papa loves to garden, so he showed us the tomatoes & peppers he's already planted. Here are more pictures from our day:



(What, you may ask, is that rusty old bus behind Papa? That deserves a whole post of it's own!)
We were all so blessed by the time we spent with MawMaw & Papa, and this one day taught Kathryn more than she could ever learn in a classroom.

MawMaw and Papa have been married nearly 62 years (as of next month), and have lived in this same house, built by Papa, that whole time. In this house, they have raised four children, loved on lots of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and eaten a whole lot of world-famous (almost!) biscuits that MawMaw makes from scratch every day! They are some of the sweetest, kindest, most Christ-loving people I have ever known, and I am so blessed to have married into their family.While we were there, we ate dinner (that's lunch for the city folks) made by MawMaw and blessed by Papa. When we were stuffed, we sat out on the porch for a while sipping on sweet tea. Brandon and Ken took turns riding Papa's gas-powered scooter while Kathryn enjoyed a chat with Papa. At Ken's request, MawMaw played a little for us on the piano (she is the piano player for her church), and then at my request, showed us all some really great old family photos. I brought a lot of them home to scan... some need restoration, but others I just want to enlarge and frame. I was blessed by listening to her stories about her family, and about what it was like when she was a little girl. She & I continued talking and looking at pictures; meanwhile the others went out to the porch and Ken & Papa played guitar. Kathryn & Brandon listened (and sometimes sang along) as they swang. Later, MawMaw also gave us girls a little crochet lesson: not enough so that I can do it, but enough to make me want to learn how. The baby blankets she makes are beautiful! And Papa loves to garden, so he showed us the tomatoes & peppers he's already planted. Here are more pictures from our day:



(What, you may ask, is that rusty old bus behind Papa? That deserves a whole post of it's own!)

We were all so blessed by the time we spent with MawMaw & Papa, and this one day taught Kathryn more than she could ever learn in a classroom.


