09 April 2008

Love is in the Air

Maybe I just haven't paid as much attention to the goings-on of the birds around here in previous years, but the birds are cracking me up this spring! My computer sits on a little antique vanity table that I use as a desk in the the music room, so that I can look out into the back yard and watch Kathryn on the playset, and make sure Lacy isn't eating our newly planted trees, so I also get to watch the birds. Our yard has become a bird sanctuary, and I love it! One day, a couple of months ago, I truly lost count of how many birds were in the back yard: there were cardinals, doves, house finches, chickadees, titmouses, mocking birds, and multiple pairs of bluebirds ALL AT THE SAME TIME! It was so amazing! Well, NOW, I feel I'm watching some kind of PBS Nature special, maybe creatively titled, "Love is in the Air"! Let's just say that based on bird activities lately, ahem, I'm expecting to see a whole lot of little birds this spring and summer!

We're still watching our house finch nest on the front door wreath, and Ken found a robin's nest in a large bush and used a ladder to get this picture: I had no idea that "robin's egg blue" was really THAT blue! How amazing is that!?! I really do marvel at how artistic and creative God is. He never runs out of colors. And as far as I can tell, some things are just because He likes them. I mean, really, is there an actual scientific reason that robin's eggs would HAVE to be such a gorgeous shade of blue? If there is, I sure don't know it. We'll be on the lookout for more nests... I know they're around here somewhere! And I'll share any more nest or egg pictures if we find them. And just so you know, we are very careful not to disturb or touch the nest or it's surroundings, and we try to be very speedy about taking pictures so the Mama Bird can get back to the nest as quickly as possible. We love our birds!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top