31 July 2008

One Dress, Two Generations

When I was a little girl, my mom made most of my clothes, or at least most of my dresses. In this photo on the left, I'm wearing a little eyelet pinafore-style dress she made, and it was taken when I was about five years old. (Note the matching homemade bow in my hair.)
Jamie
That must've been one of mom's favorite dresses because she kept it all these years and had it hanging on a little peg as a decoration in her guest room. A couple of years ago, we realized that Kathryn was about the same age as I was in the photo, so mom sent the dress home with me for Kathryn to try on. It fit, and I decided to have her picture made in it.

What do you think... does she look like me?
Kathryn
It's funny; I have these photos hanging side by side in Kathryn's room and anyone who sees them assumes they are both photos of her.

We have the dress now and Kathryn says she wants to keep it so her daughter can wear it someday. I don't know if it'll hold up so well for another thirty years, but wouldn't it be amazing to have photos of three generations of girls all in the same dress, handmade by the generation before that?

Don't forget to check out the other fun "Sincerely Fro' Me to You" posts today!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top