02 September 2008

Back to School Tea

Back to School TeaWhen I saw that Graceful Girlhood was hosting a "Mothers and Daughters Back to School Tea," I was delighted! After all, I'm a mother, I have a daughter, and we both love tea and school... so it's perfect for us!Kathryn at tea

This week we're doing school a bit more laid-back than usual because we have rehearsals every afternoon for our upcoming play, "Anne of Green Gables." Ken's off this week, too, which is really nice but also makes every day feel like a Saturday!

One of my goals this year is to have an afternoon tea at least once each week. I want to make it special; not just having tea at lunch, but something extra nice to give our week something fun to eagerly anticipate. After a neighbor showed me the adorable tea set she bought recently (on sale!), I went to the same store (Belk's) and bought one for us, too! The set, decorated with roses and butterflies, consists of a teapot and four cups and saucers -- for $9! No, that's not a typo, just nine dollars! I do love a deal!

tea time Kathryn didn't know anything about the new tea set, so I surprised her with it today by setting up our teatime lunch while she was busy writing a post for her blog. She was delighted! To make it extra special, I used our antique lace tablecloth, and picked fresh flowers from the garden for a centerpiece. We had, at Kathryn's request, "almond cookie" flavored black tea, with raw sugar and milk. We also enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches and vanilla cookies, and we took turns reading poetry aloud to each other from a few poetry books I keep on a small china cabinet by our kitchen table. It was a lovely, lovely time, and we're both looking forward to enjoying times like this quite often.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top