For a few years now, we've had a major drought here in Georgia; when a heavy "gulley-washer" kind of rain comes, the parched ground cannot absorb that precious rain. A gentle and steady rain, however, soaks in deeply. It's the same with our hearts soaking in the Word of God. Sometimes my relationship with Christ begins to feel a little stale, a little distant. Sometimes it's just a restless sort of feeling. Of course, Christ is never the one that's letting His side of the relationship slide; it's all me. When I feel that way, that's a big flashing warning sign to tell me that I'm not spending enough time with Him. I need to drink in His Word a little at a time, daily, to let it soak in thoroughly, just like a gentle, steady rain. 
One thing I realized yesterday is that I've boxed myself into a little formula for what my posts "should" be on my Bible study blog, Rambling Rose. My self-imposed format has always been to choose a verse (or let one choose me), and write a bit about what that verse says to me. It's not a bad way to spend time in the Word, but there's no reason I should limit myself. So I'll be revisiting notes from sermons and Bible studies to write about what I learned from those. This will benefit me another way, too: it'll be much more legible than my hurried, scribbling notes!
And I've finally stopped postponing something I've felt God wanting me to do for about a year now: leading a ladies' Bible study in my home. After all, who am I to presume I could do such a thing? Doesn't that take some sort of spiritual giant who has the Bible memorized from cover to cover, and can translate all the ancient Hebrew or Greek words? That's what I used to think, but God's been gently whacking me over the head for the past year with this very important point: I'm not the one in charge, and I don't have to know it all. I just have to be obedient, listen to what He wants me to say (or not say!), and stay out of His way! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and that includes leading a Bible study! Hosting this study will require me to be diligent in diving into God's Word and staying ahead of the group in the study we're doing; I know the accountability will be good for me. I also know that we always feel some distance in our relationship with Christ if we're not doing all He wants us to do, and I don't want that. So I began "officially" planning this a month or so ago, and we'll begin our study next Thursday. I only have a few "yes" answers so far, but I've been praying that He'll show me who to invite, and that He'll bring the ones he wants to be here. I'd very much appreciate your prayers for the same thing. {smile}


One thing I realized yesterday is that I've boxed myself into a little formula for what my posts "should" be on my Bible study blog, Rambling Rose. My self-imposed format has always been to choose a verse (or let one choose me), and write a bit about what that verse says to me. It's not a bad way to spend time in the Word, but there's no reason I should limit myself. So I'll be revisiting notes from sermons and Bible studies to write about what I learned from those. This will benefit me another way, too: it'll be much more legible than my hurried, scribbling notes!
And I've finally stopped postponing something I've felt God wanting me to do for about a year now: leading a ladies' Bible study in my home. After all, who am I to presume I could do such a thing? Doesn't that take some sort of spiritual giant who has the Bible memorized from cover to cover, and can translate all the ancient Hebrew or Greek words? That's what I used to think, but God's been gently whacking me over the head for the past year with this very important point: I'm not the one in charge, and I don't have to know it all. I just have to be obedient, listen to what He wants me to say (or not say!), and stay out of His way! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and that includes leading a Bible study! Hosting this study will require me to be diligent in diving into God's Word and staying ahead of the group in the study we're doing; I know the accountability will be good for me. I also know that we always feel some distance in our relationship with Christ if we're not doing all He wants us to do, and I don't want that. So I began "officially" planning this a month or so ago, and we'll begin our study next Thursday. I only have a few "yes" answers so far, but I've been praying that He'll show me who to invite, and that He'll bring the ones he wants to be here. I'd very much appreciate your prayers for the same thing. {smile}


