Last night we attended Ken's company Christmas party. The entertainment for the evening, besides conversation and yummy eats, was a caricature artist. I haven't had mine done since I was a kid at Six Flags, and Ken had never had one done! I think it came out cute, and I even told her to add a camera in Ken's hand. {grin} I was wearing a silver snowflake pin on my sweater, and her rendition of that, along with the rather pointyish shoulders she gave me, make me look like I'm wearing a Star Trek uniform. "Enterprise! Come in, Enterprise!" Hee hee!
Ken and I both loved Star Trek:The Next Generation (but not the original series, except to make fun of!), and for you non-Trekkies, I'll explain just a bit. Captain Picard, played by a fabulous stage actor with a beautifully deep Shakespearean voice and accent, had a First Officer named Commander Will Riker. They had a great working relationship and mutual respect. Captain Picard was a great leader, and Riker never questioned the Captain's authority. Because of this, the Captain often consulted Riker for advice. On the rare occasions when the Captain was unable to lead (due to illness or the Borg!), Riker stepped up and took care of things, and when Picard was once again able to lead, Riker willingly turned the authority back over to him. Captain Picard often called Riker by a sort of respectful nickname: "Number One." And his phrase when issuing a command was, "Make it so." Imagine it with that lovely Shakespearean accent I mentioned. (We bounce that phrase around here, too.)Anyhow, all that background information is to explain why Ken sometimes calls me "Number One." (Except it's in a Southern drawl, instead of the Shakespearean one.) I don't remember exactly how that came about, but in a goofy, Trekkie way, it is an example of what true submission should look like. I used to balk at the idea of submitting to anyone, until I learned that it didn't mean being bossed around and never having any say in anything. One of the biggest reasons my husband rocks is that he is a wonderful leader in the true sense of the word: he is considerate; I know he is looking out for my well-being; he is not bossy; he values my opinions; he treats me with respect; and he sets a great example of being servant-hearted. (Refer to Ephesians 5 for more on that.)
Make it so!

Be sure to visit my husband rocks today!

