04 January 2009

Intentional Homeschooling

While we've been on break the last two weeks, I spent less time blogging and more time thinking about intentional living. I know without a doubt that the Lord called me to homeschool, so of course it's a big priority for me. However, I'm a list-maker and box-checker at heart, so homeschool can easily veer into a long to-do list for me to check, check, check. Although box-checking does bring me a odd bit of joy, that's not what I want school to be about, nor is it what God called me to do. I needed to refocus, so it was time to write out my main goals, and make sort of a mission statement for our homeschool.

With quite a bit of prayer, here's what I wrote:

Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life.
We want to give our children a quality education built on the solid foundation of Biblical teaching and faith in Christ. To allow them the freedom to wonder, imagine, ask questions, and learn hands-on whenever possible. To teach them to be confident and self-disciplined. Love, encourage, and disciple them so they grow up to be spiritually wise, creative, responsible, caring individuals who follow Christ and lead lives that glorify God.

This means I must not obsess over what does or doesn't get done. Learning happens even on those days when we don't complete our math lessons. Learning happens even when the art project doesn't come out right, or if we end up veering off course from what we had *planned* to study. Learning happens even if *all* we do is cook and clean and go for a walk and visit a neighbor, but never once crack open a workbook.

I want to "make the most of every opportunity..." (Ephesians 5:16), so this means prioritizing what we do. I must remind myself that life happens, and on some days even the following few "daily" things may not get done. Relationships--which grow through love and encouragement--are so much more important than my checklist.

Here's what I'd like to happen daily:
  • Begin our days with Bible reading and a devotion. Sometimes we'll delve into a bit more of a Bible lesson later in the day.
  • Weather permitting, spend time outdoors every day. Some days may include a somewhat structured nature study, while some days may just include a short walk or a bit of play.
  • Spend time reading *living* books to feed the mind and stir the imagination.
Most days, I hope to include:
  • Math lesson
  • Home Ec &/or Handicrafts (household chores, cooking & sewing, etc)
  • Copywork (excerpt of poem or Bible verse)
  • Poetry and/or Music
Sometime during the week, we should be able to fit these in, too:
  • Science and/or Nature Study
  • History readings (and try to include some kind of hands-on project or additional history-related activity)
  • Art lesson
One of the many reasons I love homeschooling is because of all that I learn along the way! "Wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy." (Proverbs 2:10).

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top