I love everything I've ever read by Max Lucado. He has a gift for taking BIG, difficult-to-grasp subjects and explaining them in an easy, conversational tone. Reading what he writes is easy, as far as the technical aspects go, but I often have to take a break to let mull over the profound things he's said. I just finished reading one of his newer books called "For The Tough Times." It's small; short and sweet. As I was reading, I kept thinking of so many people I know who would benefit from reading it. Max tackles some hard questions, like "why did God let this happen?" and "why do bad things happen to good people?" Using scripture, he reminds us of God's power and great love for us, as well as why prayer is so important.
At the end of the book, there is a touching "Prayer for Troubled Times" that made me tear up thinking of everyone I know who has gone through great pain in the past year. It begins:

At the end of the book, there is a touching "Prayer for Troubled Times" that made me tear up thinking of everyone I know who has gone through great pain in the past year. It begins:
"Dear Lord,If you've experienced great heartache recently, this would be a great book to keep close by, and refer to often. I'm sending this--along with some prayer--to a good friend who is struggling with some things right now, and I hope it will bless her.
We're still hoping we'll wake up. We're still hoping we'll open a sleepy eye and think, What a horrible dream. How could this have happened?
We are sad, Father.
And so we come to you..."


