06 February 2009

Weekly Report

Open House
OK I admit it. I don't like to do a weekly report unless I feel like we've had a productive week. (For the record, though, sometimes I don't do a weekly report because I just don't have time or I have something else I really want to blog about!) But living transparently means sharing what isn't going the way I want it to as well as what is! Honestly, the only things I have to complain about are because of my own laziness and lack of self-discipline. So this isn't my typical list of what we did in which subjects. More of a mini-assessment of what I'm doing well and what I need to change.

We have gotten our most basic essentials done this week, including math, which is often a struggle. We've even accomplished a whole lesson all but one day this week, rather than the half-lessons we typically do, so that is an improvement in itself, but the biggest improvement is in Kathryn's attitude. Math has been the cause of many meltdowns for me her. I honestly believe that my making an effort to invest some time alone with God every morning is helping me with my patience.

Another good thing is that Kathryn and I have been having some good discussions stemming from our morning devotions. If we have a good talk about something Biblical or something the Lord is teaching us or doing in our lives, then I consider that a good day, even if we accomplish nothing else.

As far as home ec/practical life-skills go, we've done pretty well with that lately. Kathryn has finally finished her needlepoint horse; she cooked dinner one night last week (angel hair pasta with homemade cheese sauce from her Paula Deen kids' cookbook!); we babysat for baby Kaley and almost two-year-old Braedon one day this week (valuable experience for a girl with no younger siblings -- yet!); and she's helping a little more with household chores, like learning to fold laundry and things like that.
feeding Kaley

Kathryn feeds baby Kaley as I have a close encounter with Braedon!extreme close up

Our days are not getting started as early as I like for several reasons. One is that I lack discipline in getting up early enough. I set the clock but once I turn off the alarm, I usually fall back asleep. This is something I must change. Adding to that problem is that if I don't have everything done before breakfast, then Kathryn finds something to do like play with Legos or read (both perfectly wonderful activities) while I'm finishing what I need to do, but then she's resistant to stop doing that to come to the table to do school. I get aggravated about this, but again, it's really my fault, and I need to help her develop the discipline that I am just NOW trying to teach myself!

I don't love hot, humid Georgia summers, but this has been a very chilly winter, so we haven't gotten outside as much as I'd like. That makes nature studies harder, and although we can get creative with them (like studying birds on our feeder and such), it just takes more effort. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll be glad for warmer days. I'd like to devote more time to painting/art or maybe some science experiments on cold weeks like this, and then focus on nature study the days or weeks we can get outdoors. In fact, I think we'll go for a walk now!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top