31 March 2009

Charlotte Mason Blog Carnival


Welcome! I'm happy to be hosting this edition of the Charlotte Mason Blog Carnival. I think this one is extra-special because today is my one-year blogiversary! I don't have any fabulous prizes to give away, but I do have a wonderful collection of encouraging articles and great ideas here!


Art & Music

"People tend to overlook the fact that the mind must have its food. We tend to think we should learn to know, rather than learning so we can grow [as persons]." Charlotte Mason
Barb at Harmony Art Mom gives us a healthy dose of food for our hungry minds in her post, "Classical Music....Brain Food." Just like fresh fruits & veggies, I do not get enough of this in my "diet" on a regular basis, but she's encouraged me to do so!

I love what Keri at Sunny is doing for "Art Enjoyment," because it's simple and relaxed.

Cindy at Our Journey Westward shares the wonderful resources she used in their recent artist study in her post, "Van Gogh Resources."

Nature Study

"We are all meant to be naturalists, each in his own degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of the marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things." Charlotte Mason
Nature study doesn't have to be complicated or difficult, and most of all, it should be enjoyable for everybody involved. In "Come see how we study nature..." Brenda at The Tie That Binds Us shows just how lovely and relaxed it can be.

MomToCherubs at Adventures On Beck's Bounty shares a great nature study project: "The Great Sunflower Project." This is, as she points out, and opportunity for more than "just" nature study; she says it's also "science (bees, pollinators, soil, water, etc), botany (planting, growing, pollination, pollinators), math (counting, estimating) too. I love multi-purpose projects!" I do, too!

Barb at Handbook of Nature Study has come up with some new nature challanges for birds. She gives more details in "Outdoor Hour Challenge: Birds-Robin, Cardinal, and House Finch." We informally study our birds on a regular basis, so I am looking forward to doing more "official" bird studies, and I know we'll enjoy these!

Photogirl has been doing some wonderful nature studies, and shares them with us in "March nature calendar highlights." I want to incorporate some of her fun ideas in our own school days! Fortunately, she also shares a link to her upcoming schedule for April at her blog, Kids and Nature.

In "Charlotte Mason Discussion Group - Nature Study," Patti at Charlotte Mason In America shares the notes from the Charlotte Mason Discussion Group that occurs at her house each month. How fun is that?! Anybody want to come to my house for a CM discussion group next month? {smile} Patti will gladly send send you a free Owl Study notebooking page if you leave her a comment.

Character Training

"How are we to arrive at this trained and balanced character, which we all feel to be so needful, and know to be so rare? Let your home education aim at training character first and foremost." Charlotte Mason
In "Narrating by Character Qualities Provides Moral Fiber," Leslie at The Lionsgate School presents a creative way to incorporate character training into narration.

Richelle at Barefoot Voyage puts into practice Charlotte Mason's encouragement to "present the right idea at the right time" then practice "the art of standing aside." See how in her post, "A Good Measure."

Living Books & Narration

"But let them have tales of the imagination, scenes laid in other lands and other times, heroic adventures, hairbreadth escapes, delicious fairy tales in which they are never roughly pulled up by the impossible--even where all is impossible, and they know it, and yet believe.(vol 1 pg 152)." Charlotte Mason
I love reading, but I missed many of the classics in my own education. When choosing which version of A Pilgrim's Progress to read with Kathryn this year, I was a little overwhelmed because I'd never read any version. Jeanne at A peaceful day had just the opposite problem, and presents a wonderful synopsis of many versions in "Negotiating a trail through." Thanks to her recommendations, I'll know which version to tackle next & I think I'm motivated enough now to jump in and read the original!

Over at Ms. Julie's Place, Julie shares "Tall Tales- the unit study," full of great ideas and suggestions for study topics and books to use in a Tall Tales unit study.

Molly at Counter-cultural School presents some good things to consider when choosing what our children read in "Whatever is Admirable: The Classics."

I've been thinking lately about trying to incorporate living books into math, but I haven't come up with many great ideas. In "Free Science and Math Webinar April 1st," Kris at At Home Science tells us about an upcoming webinar on the topic of teaching math and science with living book. Sounds interesting!

Do you need yet another great reason to homeschool? Renae shares "Reason #127 to Homeschool" at her blog, Life Nurturing Education. She enjoys "stories crafted to communicate ideas of liberty, hope, and faith. Morsels I want to savor together as we read book after book…" I wholeheartedly agree!

Daily Wisdom & Mother Culture
"The thought of any of our poor words and ways being a daily influence on a child should make the best of us want to hold our breath." -Charlotte Mason
The quote above is one of my favorite and thought-provoking bits of Charlotte Mason wisdom. In "Charlotte Mason Monday," Shirley Ann at Dawn in the Home shares this quote, and more great encouragement for being the "thermostat" of our homes.

Charlotte Mason encouraged us moms to rejuvenate ourselves so that we have something to give back to our families. MasterpieceMom gives us some lovely and creative ideas for other ways to rejuvenate ourselves in "Mother Culture: Pampering the Body" posted at Masterpiece Theater.

I love the name of Kris' blog and still smile every time I see it: Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers. Despite how "unsocialized" they are, she shares the cooperative value of a family project in her post, "Family Fun."

In "Teaching Charlotte Mason One Day At A Time," Marie at Teaching Charlotte Mason One Day At A Time shares the joy of learning.

Dana gives us some things to ponder in "Homeschooling and learning things more deeply," posted at her blog, Principled Discovery.

----------------------------------------

Well, I sure feel inspired after all that! How 'bout you? I hope you've enjoyed this edition, and we'd love to see your blog article in the April 14th edition, hosted by Kris at At Home Science.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top