24 March 2009

Our Anniversary

Four years ago today, Ken and I were married in a little gazebo on a gorgeous spring afternoon. We chose that time of year primarily because spring is a time of new beginnings. Only our very closest friends and relatives were with us. We wrote our own vows (in addition to the standard ones), and have them framed and hanging on a wall in our bedroom so we never forget the promises we made. After the ceremony, we played around on the fountain in the little town square, danced in the gazebo ("God Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts), then had "full tea" at our favorite tea room.

I am even more in love with my husband today than I was then, although I don't think I show it well enough. I want him to know how blessed I am to have him as my husband, so I am sharing the vows I said to him that day.

(A recent photo of us; I think maybe we're improving with age.)
Kan and Jamie
The road that led me to you was not smooth, but I believe it has made me appreciate you so much more. You have helped me to let go of the past and embrace the future. Thank you so much for loving me like you do.

I, Jamie, gladly take you, Ken, as my husband. I marry you today with my eyes wide open; not with fairy tale ideas, but with true love, respect, and friendship. I promise to love you each and every day for the rest of our lives. You worked so hard to earn my trust -- harder than I thought anyone ever would -- so now I promise always to trust you and honor you. I promise to keep Christ at the center of our marriage because I believe He was the one who brought us together. I promise to support all of your dreams and ideas. I promise to join you in overcoming every challenge we may face, so that our sorrows are halved, and our joys doubled.

As we begin our lives today as husband and wife, I give you my hand to hold and my heart to keep. I look forward to a lifetime of falling even more in love with you. I truly believe that, for us, the best is yet to come, and I look forward with great joy to having you by my side as we continue down the road of life together, potholes and all. These are my vows to you.

I am far from the perfect wife, and I'm still light years from being like that Proverbs 31 woman, but thank you, Honey, for asking me to marry you. I'm so happy to be your bride.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top