A couple of months ago, my cousin Jonnia emailed me a link to the Spring Homeschool Festival at Biltmore Estate, with the brief message, "This would be a great field trip!" She was mostly kidding, but when I replied saying I wanted to go and would talk to Ken about it, we all got excited! My maternal grandmother is from Asheville and I've grown up hearing about Biltmore, but I'd never been, and this educational opportunity sounded like the PERFECT excuse to go! Ken was up for it, so he took the time off work, and I made the reservations. Jonnia's husband couldn't get away from his job, so she asked her mom (my aunt Beckie, one of the house-swappers) to come along.
We drove up on Wednesday, and Kathryn was very excited to visit North Carolina for the first time ever. The drive was beautiful, and so was the weather. Growing up, my dad's road-trip philosophy was: "Vacation doesn't start til you get there!" That made for some grumpiness and uncomfortable bladders! Prior to our first vacation together, Ken and I decided that our road-trip philosophy would be, "Vacation starts as soon as you leave the driveway!" It makes for much more enjoyable times, with plenty of time for potty breaks and meal stops when necessary.
Kathryn had never stayed in a hotel before, so that was one of the many things she was excited to do. Our hotel was on Tunnel Road; not surprisingly, there was a tunnel on the way to the hotel, and she thought that was extremely cool. She discovered she likes pumpernickel bread when we ate at Outback that night (her first time there--we don't go out to eat often). She loved being the official elevator button-pusher for us, too.
Thursday was non-stop fun, beginning with breakfast at the very fancy Biltmore Village McDonald's. (Did you know they have cafe lattes & cappuccinos at McD's now?) We met up with Jonnia & gang at the entrance gate to Biltmore at 9AM. Our first stop was touring the Biltmore home.
Beckie rented headphones for us all to use on our self-guided tour, and I highly recommend that if you ever go; you learn ever so much more that way! I can't possibly pick my favorite part of the home, but I was very impressed with the library, and loved the thought of having tea in the tapestry room as the piano player provided live music! I was quite amazed by the technology, too, like sycronized clocks throughout the home, in-house telephone service, and a heated/lighted indoor pool! I also loved the servant's quarters--quite nice! In fact, I just learned from my mom that my great, great aunt (my grandmother's aunt) was a household servant at the Biltmore home! I need to find out her name and see what else I can learn about her.
After our tour, we had lunch at the Stable Cafe, and then headed over to the area where the homeschool activities were going on. In this photo, Kathryn is helping Cullen lift a 1000-pound log using an elaborate system of pulleys.
There were some great demonstrations and activities for many different subjects. Kathryn & Cullen made a compass and learned about orienteering (using a compass & map); they watched a fun erosion demonstration; they helped churn butter and then got to sample it (yum!); learned a bit more about bees and observed bees at work in a cross-section of a hive; and saw birds of prey including a turkey buzzard, a red-tailed hawk, a screech owl, a horned owl, and a barred owl (all have been injured too severely to ever be returned to the wild).
After all of that, we headed to the farmyard, where we got to pet goats (love them!), two big Belgian horses named Bert and Ernie, a chicken named Emerald (iridescent black/green feathers), and hold baby chicks. The chicks were Kathryn's favorite part.
Everyone at every part of Biltmore Estate was so helpful and friendly. When talking to the man who was keeping an eye on the kids holding the chicks (so nobody squashed one!), I mentioned that Kathryn wants to have chickens and be in charge of collecting the eggs, so he sent us over to the man in charge to ask if she could gather the eggs. We asked, he said yes, and Kathryn (and a few other kids) collected the nine eggs currently in the laying boxes.
I learned that eggs have a natural anti-bacterial coating that allows them to sit out safely for about two weeks, but once you wash them, you must refrigerate them or they'll spoil. Even though I had chickens when I was a little girl (very little), I never knew that!
The barn was our next stop. Back in it's day, the estate included a dairy farm, and Biltmore Creamery sold milk, eggs, and ice cream. In honor of that, we all bought big ol' ice cream cones and sat down to rest while we ate them. Mmm, mmm, mmm! Before we left there, Kathryn and Cullen played on an old wagon, pretending to sell us vegetables. I think they could've entertained themselves with that game all day.
What was once a dairy barn has now been converted to a winery. We took a tour there which concluded with a complimentary wine tasting, where I rediscovered that I really don't like wine at all. However, wine crackers are another matter entirely and go GREAT with tea! (I bought two boxes!) Kathryn and Cullen sampled what Kathryn said was the best, sweetest grape juice ever. (I'm guessing that's because it wasn't watered down like we do at home!)
Finally, as it neared sunset, we went around to the walled garden. I think heaven has quite a few places like this. It's too early in the season for much variety to be blooming. Some of the azaleas had just begun to bloom, as well as the dogwoods and a few other flowering trees, but the breath-taking display right now is the TULIPS!
We walked up the hill to see the Biltmore home at twilight. Amazing.
On the way out, a couple of deer leaped across the road ahead of us. It was totally dark, and we had spend nearly twelve hours at Biltmore Estate! We did see all that was there, but to really experience it fully, I think you'd need a few days, so we'll definitely go back someday. I'd love to go when all the flowers are in full bloom! Autumn would be gorgeous as well.
We headed back to Georgia on Friday morning, and took our time driving home. We'd all gotten a bit sunburned the day before because the 35-degree morning fooled me into thinking we wouldn't need sunscreen. I forgot that the medicine I was taking for bronchitis said to avoid sun exposure, and after the itchiest day and night I've ever had, now I know why! For future reference, aloe with lidocaine is a gift from God, and works better than lotion, vinegar, or ice packs on horridly itchy sunburns!!!
We drove up on Wednesday, and Kathryn was very excited to visit North Carolina for the first time ever. The drive was beautiful, and so was the weather. Growing up, my dad's road-trip philosophy was: "Vacation doesn't start til you get there!" That made for some grumpiness and uncomfortable bladders! Prior to our first vacation together, Ken and I decided that our road-trip philosophy would be, "Vacation starts as soon as you leave the driveway!" It makes for much more enjoyable times, with plenty of time for potty breaks and meal stops when necessary.
Kathryn had never stayed in a hotel before, so that was one of the many things she was excited to do. Our hotel was on Tunnel Road; not surprisingly, there was a tunnel on the way to the hotel, and she thought that was extremely cool. She discovered she likes pumpernickel bread when we ate at Outback that night (her first time there--we don't go out to eat often). She loved being the official elevator button-pusher for us, too.
Thursday was non-stop fun, beginning with breakfast at the very fancy Biltmore Village McDonald's. (Did you know they have cafe lattes & cappuccinos at McD's now?) We met up with Jonnia & gang at the entrance gate to Biltmore at 9AM. Our first stop was touring the Biltmore home.
Beckie rented headphones for us all to use on our self-guided tour, and I highly recommend that if you ever go; you learn ever so much more that way! I can't possibly pick my favorite part of the home, but I was very impressed with the library, and loved the thought of having tea in the tapestry room as the piano player provided live music! I was quite amazed by the technology, too, like sycronized clocks throughout the home, in-house telephone service, and a heated/lighted indoor pool! I also loved the servant's quarters--quite nice! In fact, I just learned from my mom that my great, great aunt (my grandmother's aunt) was a household servant at the Biltmore home! I need to find out her name and see what else I can learn about her.After our tour, we had lunch at the Stable Cafe, and then headed over to the area where the homeschool activities were going on. In this photo, Kathryn is helping Cullen lift a 1000-pound log using an elaborate system of pulleys.
There were some great demonstrations and activities for many different subjects. Kathryn & Cullen made a compass and learned about orienteering (using a compass & map); they watched a fun erosion demonstration; they helped churn butter and then got to sample it (yum!); learned a bit more about bees and observed bees at work in a cross-section of a hive; and saw birds of prey including a turkey buzzard, a red-tailed hawk, a screech owl, a horned owl, and a barred owl (all have been injured too severely to ever be returned to the wild).
After all of that, we headed to the farmyard, where we got to pet goats (love them!), two big Belgian horses named Bert and Ernie, a chicken named Emerald (iridescent black/green feathers), and hold baby chicks. The chicks were Kathryn's favorite part.
Everyone at every part of Biltmore Estate was so helpful and friendly. When talking to the man who was keeping an eye on the kids holding the chicks (so nobody squashed one!), I mentioned that Kathryn wants to have chickens and be in charge of collecting the eggs, so he sent us over to the man in charge to ask if she could gather the eggs. We asked, he said yes, and Kathryn (and a few other kids) collected the nine eggs currently in the laying boxes.
I learned that eggs have a natural anti-bacterial coating that allows them to sit out safely for about two weeks, but once you wash them, you must refrigerate them or they'll spoil. Even though I had chickens when I was a little girl (very little), I never knew that!The barn was our next stop. Back in it's day, the estate included a dairy farm, and Biltmore Creamery sold milk, eggs, and ice cream. In honor of that, we all bought big ol' ice cream cones and sat down to rest while we ate them. Mmm, mmm, mmm! Before we left there, Kathryn and Cullen played on an old wagon, pretending to sell us vegetables. I think they could've entertained themselves with that game all day.
What was once a dairy barn has now been converted to a winery. We took a tour there which concluded with a complimentary wine tasting, where I rediscovered that I really don't like wine at all. However, wine crackers are another matter entirely and go GREAT with tea! (I bought two boxes!) Kathryn and Cullen sampled what Kathryn said was the best, sweetest grape juice ever. (I'm guessing that's because it wasn't watered down like we do at home!)Finally, as it neared sunset, we went around to the walled garden. I think heaven has quite a few places like this. It's too early in the season for much variety to be blooming. Some of the azaleas had just begun to bloom, as well as the dogwoods and a few other flowering trees, but the breath-taking display right now is the TULIPS!
We walked up the hill to see the Biltmore home at twilight. Amazing.
On the way out, a couple of deer leaped across the road ahead of us. It was totally dark, and we had spend nearly twelve hours at Biltmore Estate! We did see all that was there, but to really experience it fully, I think you'd need a few days, so we'll definitely go back someday. I'd love to go when all the flowers are in full bloom! Autumn would be gorgeous as well.We headed back to Georgia on Friday morning, and took our time driving home. We'd all gotten a bit sunburned the day before because the 35-degree morning fooled me into thinking we wouldn't need sunscreen. I forgot that the medicine I was taking for bronchitis said to avoid sun exposure, and after the itchiest day and night I've ever had, now I know why! For future reference, aloe with lidocaine is a gift from God, and works better than lotion, vinegar, or ice packs on horridly itchy sunburns!!!

