02 October 2009

Catching Up

I have sooooo much blogging to catch up on, but a) we were out of town part of last week/weekend, and b) I spend part of this week re-designing our photography blog and doing a bit of updating there. I think I'm finally satisfied with the design -- hurray! (Psst! Go check it out!!!)

So the week before last, Lindsey had a square dance at her school, and Ken did photography for the evening. (I stayed home; it was not a good day for me, and it was an easy/small enough job for just one of us.) He did some family photos, as well as some action shots of the dancing, but my favorites were the ones when the kids came to pose all goofy-like. There were bandana-masked bandits, cattle-wranglers, damsels in distress, and general silliness. This one is Lindsey with a few of her friends. (The backdrop was just part of the decorations for the event.)

Since we knew we'd be out town one of the days Lindsey is usually in class, we got her assignments ahead of time, and I was proud of her for getting everything done before we left. Kathryn and I did an abbreviated "trip" to Ireland, and she was delighted to see signs for Dublin (in this case, Georgia) along the way to Florida. We thought about stopping to take her photo with one of those signs, but there wasn't a good, safe place to do so. Would've been pretty funny, though. {grin}

We did stop for lunch in Savannah. Ken has been there before, but the girls and I had not. We drove around a little, filled our bellies, and then walked a few blocks on River Street 'til we reached the waving girl statue, then turned around to head back. We loved the trolleys, and the old cobblestone roads. We saw what is believed to be the oldest bell in Georgia. This little detour to Savannah was definitely a history lesson, as well as a nice diversion and a chance to stretch our legs thoroughly before climbing back in the car for several more hours.

The girls l-o-v-e-d our hotel room, with bunk beds behind a little L-shaped wall. Kathryn had never slept on a bunk bed before, and I think that was one of the highlights of the trip for her. The desk clerk Mike was the nicest hotel employee we have ever met; he even baked us cookies, ready just about the time we'd gotten settled into our room!

That evening (Thursday), we had dinner with an old friend of mine, who I hadn't seen in probably about twenty years! This is us, back in the old days (I'm the short one):
It was so great to catch up, and to meet her family. She's engaged to a great guy named David, and we had a blast doing their engagement photos Sunday morning, right before we hit the road to come home.

The main reason we went to Florida was for my cousin Matthew's wedding. But that'll be a whole other post in itself. (Soon, I hope!) We did not even think to bring swimsuits; it was nearly October, for goodness sake! But the girls played in the ocean some anyway, with pants rolled up, just to say they've had their feet in the Atlantic (a first for both of them, since we usually go to the Gulf).
Beach

Kathryn's birthday was on Monday, but we already celebrated earlier this month. She spent the rest of this week at her daddy's house.  Lindsey didn't have a heavy load of schoolwork this week, so she and I spent some time just hanging out. I'm trying to be sure to spend some one-on-one time with both the girls--this being a parent to more than one daughter is still new, but I like it.

That about catches us up for this week, other than posting about the wedding -- soon!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top