November is National Adoption Month! There is some great info at AdoptUSKids on how you can help. Did you know it would take less than one percent of the U.S. population to provide a forever family for every child in foster care available for adoption? Even if you don't feel called to foster or adopt (or maybe just not right now), there are still ways you can help! The biggest way: spread the word about the need!
I love the Perfect Parent campaign, with this slogan: "You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent. Because kids in foster care don't need perfection. They need you."
I love the Perfect Parent campaign, with this slogan: "You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent. Because kids in foster care don't need perfection. They need you."
I just finished reading a book called Adopting the Hurt Child, and admittedly, it can seem pretty overwhelming reading about all the potential issues kids can have, depending on how traumatic a childhood they experienced. But with patience and prayer, I believe every issue can be overcome. I underlined this in the book:
Is the effort worth it? Only if you want to save a child's life by providing him with a life worth living.
With that in mind, I want to do a couple of things here this month.
First of all, I'm highlighting a few of my posts about adoption. This way, you don't have to scroll through a zillion or so posts to read our story, refresh your memory about it, or see why we wanted to do this in the first place:
Secondly, I'd love to do a question-and-answer thing.
Do you have questions about adopting from foster care? Questions about adopting a teen? I'm not an expert, but I can speak from my own experience, and I can probably find the answer if I don't know it. So please ask me questions! You can send them to me in email or leave them as a comment on this post, and I will do a separate post to answer them.
Alright now, start shooting me some adoption questions!!! First of all, I'm highlighting a few of my posts about adoption. This way, you don't have to scroll through a zillion or so posts to read our story, refresh your memory about it, or see why we wanted to do this in the first place:
- This one is from way back in April 2008: Why Adoption?
- Some of my "deep thoughts" from a year or more ago:
Pricking My Heart and Adopted Through Christ - Meeting Lindsey: Info meeting and the 1st time we met her
- Saying Goodbye (and why I'm so thankful to her foster family)
- Very recently, I posted a video of our testimony at church.
Secondly, I'd love to do a question-and-answer thing.
Do you have questions about adopting from foster care? Questions about adopting a teen? I'm not an expert, but I can speak from my own experience, and I can probably find the answer if I don't know it. So please ask me questions! You can send them to me in email or leave them as a comment on this post, and I will do a separate post to answer them.
Ready, set, GO...


