15 January 2010

Ken as Fred Astaire

We love re-creating old photos. It's one of our favorite things to do when we have free time. Ken has never played model, so I wanted him to be in front of the camera for a change. I love old Hollywood, especially old movies with lots of dancing. My dream date is going to one of those fabulous 1940's dinner-and-dancing places, minus all the cigarette smoke. Ken is quite the hoofer (a good dancer), so this photo of Fred Astaire was my inspiration:
Ken is also usually the lighting guru, but this time I wanted to do all the lighting stuff as well. I want to show you my set-up because good photos don't require amazing backdrops or fantastic locations. This is in the living room with Lacy the WonderDog checking things out. I had one main light with an umbrella, controlled manually by my camera. A secondary slave flash was on the other side, just sitting on top of the craft cabinet.  I didn't pull out the big backdrop; instead, I just used our reflector since it would be a tight shot.
We didn't have to use quite as many odd things to make up Ken's outfit here as it seems like I usually end up using. He borrowed Brandon's shirt, cuff links, and bow tie. It would've been better to have white like the original, but we didn't feel like going to buy one just for this shot, especially since we had a black one already in the house. The "cane" is another light stand, adjusted to the proper height. But let me tell you a cool story about the top hat: I put on facebook one day that I needed a top hat for a photo, and one of our bride's moms  (who has known me since before I was born!) said she had a top hat that her grandfather wore in his wedding in 1912; she shipped it to me from Florida the next day. How awesome is that??? So here's our results...
Ken as Fred Astaire

So what d'ya think? {grin}

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top