16 January 2010

Frankly, My Dear...

One day, in browsing for some fun old photos to re-create, I came upon the Gone With The Wind movie poster. I joked that we should do that one, since we wanted to do one with both of us in it. It sounded fun, we're both Southern (yes, you have to capitalize that!), and madly in love (though not so stormily as Rhett and Scarlett), so...
Ken and Jamie as Rhett and Scarlett

We did this the same afternoon as the Fred Astaire. This one was harder since we were both in it. It required several lights, and we used orange gels on two off-camera flashes aimed at the background to achieve the orange glow. One of those shot through a couple of water bottles to make a little ripply. We set up an umbrella light shining straight down on Ken's shoulder, and the main light was set up to the right of the camera. Once we had everything set up, Lindsey clicked the shutter for us.

The outfits: Ken's was easy since it was just a white shirt. I drew on his mustache with an eyeliner. Lindsey and Brandon cracked up laughing every time they looked at him, and somebody started singing a Jimmy Buffet song about a pencil-thin mustache. I used to have a red velvet dress that would've been perfect, made by my mom for a senior high dance. But I have no idea whatever happened to it. So I got out the pale pink dress I wore in our wedding. I wanted more lace at the top, so I put on a short slip upside down. I opted not to show cleavage, though Scarlett showed quite a bit in the original.

The only thing I did to edit was add a tiny bit of grain, and then overlay the original poster and erase everything except the buildings at the bottom. I had to stretch a few to make them in the right spots. I also darkened my dress a bit. And, of course, added some text.

The hardest part was getting the posing just right. I am relatively light, but the way Rhett is leaning over makes it very awkward to support any weight, so Ken couldn't hold me for long. And then there's the looking-serious thing. We don't do well at that. (It's the same reason we can't tango worth a darn.) I kept giggling at Ken's serious Rhett face. Or he'd say "Frankly, my dear..." and I'd bust out laughing. Lindsey snickering the whole time wasn't helping us stay serious either. But finally we decided this was close enough to the original poster. We used it to make a new About Us page on our website, to reflect what great big goofballs we are, and hopefully, to show our creative fun side. I'd love to know what you think!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top