01 January 2010

Welcome 2010: Resolutions and Reminiscing

I am spending a happily relaxing first day of the new year thinking about goals, reminiscing over the events of 2009, and wondering what God has in store for us in 2010.

My Good Reads in 2009 came to a nice round number of forty, and I welcome suggestions to add to my want-to-read list for 2010!

Many bloggers share their "top posts" of the year, but I'm just going to sum up the highlights of 2009, and give links in case you're interested in reading more, or in case you missed it the first time around. This was a VERY big year for us:
As far as resolutions go, Robin Sampson and I have apparently been thinking along the same lines. Her Resolution for 2010 is to let the law of kindness reign in her home. I want that, too. I want to be an encourager, a life-giver. I am borrowing Robin's prayer (slightly modified since I don't yet have grandkids!).  I encourage you to read her post for the full explanation:
"Father, Let Your loving kindness and mercy flow through me on my tongue, in my manners to my husband and children. Help me be sympathetic, gentle, friendly, tender-hearted, and generous in all my ways."
Another resolution I'm making is to be more fun.  I don't dance around the kitchen when I'm cooking; I'd prefer to organize something rather than go for a walk with the family; I don't love playing games; I tend to be a homebody and really get grumpy if we have what I consider too many places to go. Maybe that seems a bit silly, especially in comparison to the resolution about being kinder, but it's more than that. There are too many times when I'm a party-pooper for my family. The real goal is to make a point of enjoying time with my family and creating pleasant memories for us all. 

I also have the standard get in shape resolution. It's really not related to the new year, but I finally have the upstairs room organized and cleaned up, so I'm running out of excuses to not exercise (since that's where I do it). I don't need to lose weight, but I am in lousy shape as far as endurance and cardiovascular fitness go. That sets a poor example for my kids, and if I don't have energy, then I can't do all I'm called to do as wife, homeschooling mama, and servant of Christ.

My homeschool-related resolution is to keep spiritual growth as our number one priority, and remember that academics are secondary. Important, yes, but not nearly as important as their walk with Christ.

I am so thankful for the blessings and challenges of 2009, and I happily welcome 2010! Happy New Year, everybody!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top