One of the many blessings of homeschooling is that we can let life happen and know that the world isn't going to stop because we didn't get all the things done that we had planned to do. Today was one of those days. We were going to start second grade today, but instead, we were blessed with getting to know one of our cousins better. He spent the night last night, and he and Kathryn played for hours today. They are very close in age, just a couple of months apart, and I think today's time together was good for them both! Certainly good for Kathryn to have a taste of what life with a brother close to her own age could be like! He reminds me of my cousin Matthew when he was a boy. Watching him play, I flashed back to when Matthew and I were kids and we spent so much time together that I loved him like a brother and told everybody that he really was my brother!

When I got out the camera to play around with my new flash, Mini-Matt (as I think of him!) wanted to take some pictures, too. That enormous flash was just too cool for him to resist. And Lacy, by the way, really is such a wonderful, patient dog, even with little boys who get a little too enthusiastic about getting to play with a dog that "jumps like a bunny!" Here's the photo he took of Lacy; I think it came out great!

I find God's sense of humor ironically funny. God frequently orchestrates things in such a way that he leaves no room for me to doubt that he is right smack in the middle of my life at all times. The most recent example of this: today I lived yesterday's Sunday school lesson.
I do want God to be right smack in the middle of my life... except for the fact that having him there is often quite inconvenient. And that was our lesson yesterday. Following Christ usually isn't convenient. I like to have things planned out, and if something is working pretty well, I don't want to do things differently. Like the saying goes, "If is ain't broke, don't fix it!" But God clearly tells us,
Honestly, that is seriously hard for me to swallow. I cling tightly to my illusion of control. Today I wanted to start second grade, I wanted to get the house clean, I wanted to exercise this morning... but a last-minute visit with a sweet boy was a higher priority. And despite my plans being thrown off, despite the mud tracked in, and the toys scattered around, and my to-do list remaining unchecked, God blessed me because of my inconvenience. My heart was touched so many times in the "inconvenient" hours this little boy spent with us: like last night when he lay singing in bed while waiting for me to tuck him in; when he eagerly kneeled by his bed for nighttime prayers with a woman (me) he barely knows; when he briefly disappeared into the back yard today and came back clutching a handful of dandelions; when he & Kathryn both learned a lesson about having a disagreement and making up afterwards, and he made a special effort to do something extra nice for Kathryn afterwards. My heart is full today, because of this inconvenience.
Tomorrow, we really are starting our sit-down second grade table work. But today was a great day of learning even bigger things--for Kathryn, and especially for me. Next time something big or small comes up that inconveniences you, take a minute to ponder what our inconvenient God might be up to...


When I got out the camera to play around with my new flash, Mini-Matt (as I think of him!) wanted to take some pictures, too. That enormous flash was just too cool for him to resist. And Lacy, by the way, really is such a wonderful, patient dog, even with little boys who get a little too enthusiastic about getting to play with a dog that "jumps like a bunny!" Here's the photo he took of Lacy; I think it came out great!

I find God's sense of humor ironically funny. God frequently orchestrates things in such a way that he leaves no room for me to doubt that he is right smack in the middle of my life at all times. The most recent example of this: today I lived yesterday's Sunday school lesson.
I do want God to be right smack in the middle of my life... except for the fact that having him there is often quite inconvenient. And that was our lesson yesterday. Following Christ usually isn't convenient. I like to have things planned out, and if something is working pretty well, I don't want to do things differently. Like the saying goes, "If is ain't broke, don't fix it!" But God clearly tells us,
"My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways."It would be more convenient if his ways were my ways; I could plan things, make lists to check off. I like that sort of thing. I'm a planner--I've always liked the BoyScout motto. "Be prepared!" Well, I can prepare and plan and make lovely, well-organized to-do lists all I want, but that doesn't mean things are going to happen according to my plans.
Isaiah 55:8
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."
Proverbs 16:9
Honestly, that is seriously hard for me to swallow. I cling tightly to my illusion of control. Today I wanted to start second grade, I wanted to get the house clean, I wanted to exercise this morning... but a last-minute visit with a sweet boy was a higher priority. And despite my plans being thrown off, despite the mud tracked in, and the toys scattered around, and my to-do list remaining unchecked, God blessed me because of my inconvenience. My heart was touched so many times in the "inconvenient" hours this little boy spent with us: like last night when he lay singing in bed while waiting for me to tuck him in; when he eagerly kneeled by his bed for nighttime prayers with a woman (me) he barely knows; when he briefly disappeared into the back yard today and came back clutching a handful of dandelions; when he & Kathryn both learned a lesson about having a disagreement and making up afterwards, and he made a special effort to do something extra nice for Kathryn afterwards. My heart is full today, because of this inconvenience.

Tomorrow, we really are starting our sit-down second grade table work. But today was a great day of learning even bigger things--for Kathryn, and especially for me. Next time something big or small comes up that inconveniences you, take a minute to ponder what our inconvenient God might be up to...


