
When Kathryn and I arrived at our voting place this morning, I was very relieved to see that there was not a line outside the door! But even if it did take hours to vote, I still would have done it. (Probably not enthusiastically, I admit!) It truly is such a blessing that we get to vote, and it's wonderful to see so many people exercising that right, as proven by the crazy long lines I've been hearing about!
I admit I don't get deep into political stuff -- I probably avoid it more than I should -- but I just can't stand all the finger-pointing and mud-slinging. Ugh. But this election has got me thinking...
First and foremost: God is in control. He already knows who will win this election, and no matter who is elected to office, God can and will use our political leaders to accomplish His will. Those leaders did not get to where they are without God's explicit okay: "Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God." (Romans 13:1) This means I need to trust in God -- not anyone or anything else. Because I know God placed those people in those positions of authority, I have an obligation to pray for them, rather than talk trash about them. I must also realize that the world is not going to change for better or worse just because of who is President of this or any other country. No amount of jurisdiction can change the hearts of the people. Period.
If we want to see change, we must start by examining our own hearts. We must ask God to search us and show us where we need to change. Then as we begin making those changes within our own hearts, we must seek God's guidance on what kind of changes we can make in the lives of others, how we can spread Christ's love to those around us. Even small things can make a big difference: offering a listening ear to someone going through a crisis; helping someone run errands or do chores that they might not be physically able to do; spending time with someone who is lonely; the list goes on and on...
A good friend recently used the phrase "church without walls", and I just love the meaning that phrase conveys. We who claim to follow Christ must step out of our cozy little cocoons and do some uncomfortable things. The church -- not any particular congregation or denomination, but the whole body of Christ -- can't stay tucked inside the pretty walls of our churches all the time. We can and should serve there, and find encouragement and Biblical teaching there, but then we need to venture out beyond its walls to touch lives for Christ. I don't yet know all that He's called me to do, but as I figure them out, I am trying to do them. I'd love to hear some of the ways you're doing this, too!

**Note: Two great books that have inspired me in this "church without walls" idea are: The Debt by Angela Hunt; and Justice in the Burbs by Will & Lisa Samson.
I admit I don't get deep into political stuff -- I probably avoid it more than I should -- but I just can't stand all the finger-pointing and mud-slinging. Ugh. But this election has got me thinking...
First and foremost: God is in control. He already knows who will win this election, and no matter who is elected to office, God can and will use our political leaders to accomplish His will. Those leaders did not get to where they are without God's explicit okay: "Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God." (Romans 13:1) This means I need to trust in God -- not anyone or anything else. Because I know God placed those people in those positions of authority, I have an obligation to pray for them, rather than talk trash about them. I must also realize that the world is not going to change for better or worse just because of who is President of this or any other country. No amount of jurisdiction can change the hearts of the people. Period.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life."
(Psalm 139:23-24)
If we want to see change, we must start by examining our own hearts. We must ask God to search us and show us where we need to change. Then as we begin making those changes within our own hearts, we must seek God's guidance on what kind of changes we can make in the lives of others, how we can spread Christ's love to those around us. Even small things can make a big difference: offering a listening ear to someone going through a crisis; helping someone run errands or do chores that they might not be physically able to do; spending time with someone who is lonely; the list goes on and on...
A good friend recently used the phrase "church without walls", and I just love the meaning that phrase conveys. We who claim to follow Christ must step out of our cozy little cocoons and do some uncomfortable things. The church -- not any particular congregation or denomination, but the whole body of Christ -- can't stay tucked inside the pretty walls of our churches all the time. We can and should serve there, and find encouragement and Biblical teaching there, but then we need to venture out beyond its walls to touch lives for Christ. I don't yet know all that He's called me to do, but as I figure them out, I am trying to do them. I'd love to hear some of the ways you're doing this, too!

**Note: Two great books that have inspired me in this "church without walls" idea are: The Debt by Angela Hunt; and Justice in the Burbs by Will & Lisa Samson.

