What does Christmas mean these days? Looking around at the stores and magazines and neighboring houses, one would think it means festive decor and twinkling lights; delicious homemade cookies and hot cocoa; and beautifully wrapped gifts from your loved ones' wish lists. All of those things are nice, and enjoyable, and can become lovely, cherished memories, but are they really what Christmas is about?
When I think of Christmas, I think of cozy evenings cuddled on the couch near a twinkling Christmas tree. I think of baking homemade goodies, singing Christmas carols, thoughtfully chosen gifts, Christmas cards in the mailbox, and festive fun with extended family that we don't see often enough. Are these things what Christmas is really about?
I believe so... partly. Because all those things are born of love, and what Christmas is really about is the Gift of Love. It's about remembering the time when God chose to send his only Son to this world with the purpose of healing our broken relationship with Him. Does Christmas come from a store? No, Mr. Grinch; everything good about Christmas comes from Love Himself.

When I think of Christmas, I think of cozy evenings cuddled on the couch near a twinkling Christmas tree. I think of baking homemade goodies, singing Christmas carols, thoughtfully chosen gifts, Christmas cards in the mailbox, and festive fun with extended family that we don't see often enough. Are these things what Christmas is really about?
I believe so... partly. Because all those things are born of love, and what Christmas is really about is the Gift of Love. It's about remembering the time when God chose to send his only Son to this world with the purpose of healing our broken relationship with Him. Does Christmas come from a store? No, Mr. Grinch; everything good about Christmas comes from Love Himself.

For more In Other Words, visit Lori at All You Have to Give.


