My great-grandmother wrote a letter to me when I was born. I have a few pictures of me with her, but she lived in another state, so I didn't see her often, and I was still quite young when she died. But I know she loved me even before she knew me, because of that letter. My mother saved it for me in my baby book.
Have you ever received a beautiful thank-you note, or heartfelt letter from a friend or relative? I have, and I love them! I have many of them saved to look at again in the future. A note or letter like that is a powerful source of encouragement, but with all the technology of our world these days, they are becoming more scarce. We seldom use "snail mail" for anything these days.

Have you ever received a beautiful thank-you note, or heartfelt letter from a friend or relative? I have, and I love them! I have many of them saved to look at again in the future. A note or letter like that is a powerful source of encouragement, but with all the technology of our world these days, they are becoming more scarce. We seldom use "snail mail" for anything these days.
"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:12-13We are all called to encourage one another. As part of my intentional living, I want to become more of an encourager, and writing letters and notes is one way I can do this. I've heard this referred to as "the ministry of the mailbox." Finding a hand-written card in the mailbox addressed to you (one that isn't a bill!) is a lovely surprise, and far more special than having email in your inbox. Specific ideas for doing this include:
- thank you notes to people who have made a difference in your life. This could be a teacher, neighbor, friend, or relative from childhood or recent years
- notes of appreciation to people who have extended hospitality to you, whether it was a place to live, or just a cup of tea
- a letter of encouragement and support to a new believer -- they'll need it!
- love letters to your spouse
- love letters to your children
- an above-and-beyond recommendation letter when the opportunity arises
(A friend did this for a prospective Eagle Scout. Sometimes they get to read the letter themselves.) - a letter of encouragement to someone going through a difficult time


