Welcome to our schoolhouse!Monday was a day off because I needed to recover from my illness, and it always seems a little hard to get back in gear after a week off, especially when Kathryn has been away at her dad's.
Our nature study this week was about weather, the water cycle, and forms of precipitation. I'll do a separate post on that tomorrow, but having rain one day this week, and a mix of snow flurries and sleet another day tied in perfectly with our study!
We've been reading the poetry of Walter de le Mare.
In math, Kathryn began multiplying two-digit numbers and single-digit numbers, and picked up on the concept before I'd even finished explaining it. She's still resistant to practicing multiplication tables, but we're working on creative ways; Ken even had her using large Lego pieces to practice her "times sixes" as she built Lego houses. Our math lessons this week also included: interpreting pictographs;doing linear equations; working with money; and English linear measurement equivalents.
We resumed our Native American History Pockets and studied the Nez Perce this week. As part of our extra readings, we enjoyed The Nez Perce by Virginia Driving Hawk Sneve and since the Appaloosa was such a large part of the lives of the Nez Perce, I decided it was a perfect time to paint our Breyer model horse kit. We learned that Appaloosas can be any color, so Kathryn looked at the beautiful illustrations in that book until she found one that inspired her.
(The mohair for the mane and tail was a pain!If you try one of these kits yourself, I'd recommend the one without mohair
Though I didn't officially choose a memory verse or character trait to study this week, we did talk about how we can glorify God in all that we do (1 Corinthians 10:31), and we read in Big Truths for Little Kids about being an encouragement to others. Kathryn says she hopes her new blog meme for homeschooled kids will be a way to be an encourager. Don't forget: Kathryn's "Fun Time Fridays" begins TODAY over on her blog, so please stop by and send your kids, too!

