On Friday, we met the kids I mentioned a few posts ago. The Lord has answered so many of my specific questions in the time since that post, and He continues to do so. I have peace about the fact that I don't have all the answers, but it's all in His hands, and if these are the kids He wants us to adopt, then He will work out all the details. If not, then I'm praying they will have a good and loving forever home, and I know God will bring us whoever it is He's chosen for us. For the kids' sake, I'll continue to be vague about their story and their details. I am keeping a written journal so that I'll be able to look back and see how God orchestrates everything. If a time comes when it's appropriate to share more here, then you can be sure I will. For now, it's enough to say that they were abused, and the girl suffered severe injuries.
We spent Saturday evening at our friends the Meadows' home, celebrating the life of their son Brock on the 1st anniversary of his going home to heaven. We love this family; they are such an encouragement to us, and we are so blessed every time we even have a conversation with them. We are SO glad the Lord put them in our lives. Or us in theirs. Brock's mom Nita shares her heart beautifully on her blog. I know she would be blessed by a word of encouragement from you, or just to let you know you have said a prayer for her family.
At 4:00, the time of day when Brock died, we all went out on their front lawn with candles and sang praise songs and shared stories of what the Lord has done since Brock died. One of Brock's big brothers shared through tears that when his parents came home and told them Brock didn't make it, he didn't think they'd survive -- but the Lord brought them through and loved them. I think anyone who'd managed to keep a dry eye up 'til then sure didn't after he shared that. The Meadows have loved on other families who have lost their children, even just months after Brock's death. They have prayed through this whole ordeal that God would be glorified in them, and He has. We don't understand all the why's of the number of Brock's days on earth, but we know he's with Jesus, and we know his mom and dad and the rest of his family WILL see him again.
As I stood there singing songs and listening to these stories, it occurred to me that the little girl we met on Friday is just a little younger than Brock was when he died. Here was this lawn full of folks celebrating the brief but full life of a little child -- and the heartbreaking irony hit me that the parents of that little girl we met Friday nearly killed her. If I could tell you more details of their story, it would break your heart, and if you could see their sweet faces and look into their eyes, your heart would melt. But they are not the only kids with a story like that.
The details differ, but there are thousands and thousands of children whose parents couldn't properly parent them for one reason or another, and now those kids need a loving, permanent family. I urge you to visit AdoptUsKids to see some of these sweet faces. If God hasn't yet placed it on your heart to adopt, you could go on this site and just pray for the kids by name. These are "special needs" children, but special needs probably isn't what you think. Most of the kids are perfectly healthy, but because of their age or because they are part of a sibling group, most people don't want them.
The adoptive category of Special Needs includes:
• any African-American child older than one year of age;
• a sibling group of three or more who need to be placed together;
• any child age eight and older;
• any child with documented physical, emotional or mental disabilities
• or a sibling group of two, one of whom has a special need
Because these kids are harder to get adopted, the state pays for all their adoption fees. There is also an adoption tax credit that adoptive parents are eligible for, and some children are eligible for Medicaid after adoption. There are many more kids who need loving foster homes, too. Ken and I are attending a luncheon on Thursday that will give us more information about getting churches involved in foster care as a ministry, and I'll share that with you as well.
We spent Saturday evening at our friends the Meadows' home, celebrating the life of their son Brock on the 1st anniversary of his going home to heaven. We love this family; they are such an encouragement to us, and we are so blessed every time we even have a conversation with them. We are SO glad the Lord put them in our lives. Or us in theirs. Brock's mom Nita shares her heart beautifully on her blog. I know she would be blessed by a word of encouragement from you, or just to let you know you have said a prayer for her family.
At 4:00, the time of day when Brock died, we all went out on their front lawn with candles and sang praise songs and shared stories of what the Lord has done since Brock died. One of Brock's big brothers shared through tears that when his parents came home and told them Brock didn't make it, he didn't think they'd survive -- but the Lord brought them through and loved them. I think anyone who'd managed to keep a dry eye up 'til then sure didn't after he shared that. The Meadows have loved on other families who have lost their children, even just months after Brock's death. They have prayed through this whole ordeal that God would be glorified in them, and He has. We don't understand all the why's of the number of Brock's days on earth, but we know he's with Jesus, and we know his mom and dad and the rest of his family WILL see him again.
As I stood there singing songs and listening to these stories, it occurred to me that the little girl we met on Friday is just a little younger than Brock was when he died. Here was this lawn full of folks celebrating the brief but full life of a little child -- and the heartbreaking irony hit me that the parents of that little girl we met Friday nearly killed her. If I could tell you more details of their story, it would break your heart, and if you could see their sweet faces and look into their eyes, your heart would melt. But they are not the only kids with a story like that.
The details differ, but there are thousands and thousands of children whose parents couldn't properly parent them for one reason or another, and now those kids need a loving, permanent family. I urge you to visit AdoptUsKids to see some of these sweet faces. If God hasn't yet placed it on your heart to adopt, you could go on this site and just pray for the kids by name. These are "special needs" children, but special needs probably isn't what you think. Most of the kids are perfectly healthy, but because of their age or because they are part of a sibling group, most people don't want them.
The adoptive category of Special Needs includes:
• any African-American child older than one year of age;
• a sibling group of three or more who need to be placed together;
• any child age eight and older;
• any child with documented physical, emotional or mental disabilities
• or a sibling group of two, one of whom has a special need
Because these kids are harder to get adopted, the state pays for all their adoption fees. There is also an adoption tax credit that adoptive parents are eligible for, and some children are eligible for Medicaid after adoption. There are many more kids who need loving foster homes, too. Ken and I are attending a luncheon on Thursday that will give us more information about getting churches involved in foster care as a ministry, and I'll share that with you as well.

