05 June 2009

Adoption is Strange

We've been noticing the lack of appropriate wording for things in this process of adoption. When giving an update to friends, I find myself saying things like, "It didn't work out with those kids, but right now we're looking at another girl." Or, "If we get her, we'll do such and such." Then I cringe, because it sounds like I'm talking about car shopping. I can come up with something more politically correct when I take time to think first, but honestly, the whole process is pretty dadgum strange.

Gone are the days of the Orphan Train, but now there are "Adoption Gatherings." This is where some of the kids available for adoption will be in one place for a sort of conference. Approved families can come to these gatherings and meet the kids in person. Bringing your own kids is not allowed, because that would be confusing with other families thinking they are also available for adoption. One of our friends recently said this process reminds her of speed-dating. Ken and I haven't attended one of these because it feels too much like going to the pound to pick out a puppy. Families who can't attend the Adoption Gathering in person can video conference with the children. I'm not really sure how to feel about all that, because I do see the point: it is helpful to see the children and to talk to them face to face because it makes you realize that these are real kids, not just a photo attached to a case number.

I actually like the fact that you can view available children on websites such as AdoptUsKids; it's one of the first things that made the need to adopt seem real to me. It does no good to sit in my comfy living room and feeling bad for a bunch of nameless children in need of families, but on these sites, they have a name and a face. I read about the little boy, for instance, who wants to grow up to be a policemen so he can protect people, and I wonder what it was that he failed to be protected from. Sometimes I read these profiles and cry because I can't adopt them all. But I CAN try to spread the word.

On Tuesday, we're scheduled to meet with our caseworker. We'll be reviewing the "Child Life History" narrative for a girl we're considering adopting. I don't feel comfortable using her name yet, but I don't like the whole pseudonym thing. Anyway, our caseworker made up fliers about us with a little write-up about our family, and a family photo. Then she sent those fliers to other caseworkers in the area. This girl's caseworker thought we'd be a good match for her, and his supervisor agrees that we are "a perfect match." We haven't met the girl yet and nothing is final; there are still a bunch of steps left before anything is definite. But we have prayed all along that the Lord would bring us whoever He wants to add to our family. We plan to follow through with this girl, unless we hit a God-directed roadblock. I'll update more after next week's meeting.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top