“Relying on God has to begin
all over again every day
as if nothing had yet been done.”
C.S. Lewis
Ain't that the truth! I spent too long wandering far off the path God had for me, but there was never a day I woke up and said, "Today is the day I'll stop following God and do my own thing!" It started small and seemingly innocent--but that first small decision that took me a tiny step off God's path made subsequent sinful choices easier, and eventually the little things became bigger and bigger. As one of my favorite songs says, "People never crumble in a day; it's a slow fade."
I've learned that every morning I have a decision to make: who am I going to follow today? I've trusted the Lord with my salvation, and with my day to day life, but in order to keep my focus where it needs to be, I have to recommit each morning. Before I even get out of bed in the morning, I start with a quick prayer of Psalm 118:24: "This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it," and I tell God (and myself!) that I submit myself anew to Him today. At night before I go to sleep, I ask the Lord to "wake me up in the morning, and open my ears to listen as one ready to take orders." (Isaiah 50:4 MSG) Of course, spending time alone with God each day, and spending time in the Word each day are also essential, but I saw the biggest difference in my spiritual life just when I began that very brief prayer each morning to set the tone for my whole day.
Find more "In Other Words" here today.

Find more "In Other Words" here today.



