As I've told friends, adding Lindsey to our family has been so much easier than I expected in many ways, but harder in other ways. Primarily, that harder part has been in relation to how I feel like I need to catch up on years of conversations, discipling, teaching, and just getting to know all about her. It's really overwhelming sometimes. I want her to grow into a woman who honors God in all she does. I want that for all of our children, but I feel like I'm so late getting in the game (so to speak) with Lindsey.
But then, in my time alone with God this morning, I read this verse:
"All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear." Isaiah 54:13-14a
In the verses prior to this, God is telling "poor, storm-tossed" Jerusalem that He will restore them and comfort them. That phrase "storm-tossed" makes me think of many different circumstances and many different people I know. I've even had a few storm-tossed times of my own. But in reading this verse, Lindsey immediately came to mind.
It's not really me that will teach Lindsey--or any of our other kids: It is the LORD! Sometimes He will use me, or the books and curriculum I've prayerfully chosen. He may use friends or neighbors or other family members; or maybe a message at church or a Sunday school lesson. Sometimes He will speak straight from His word. There are countless ways He can teach and speak to my children--and to me! I can't begin to fathom exactly how He will teach my children all they need to know, but He will; His thoughts and His ways are so much higher than mine (Is. 55:9)! What a relief it is to know this great burden does not lie upon my puny little shoulders! I must simply let God use me, and trust Him to teach my children, give them great peace, and establish them on a foundation of righteousness.
It's not really me that will teach Lindsey--or any of our other kids: It is the LORD! Sometimes He will use me, or the books and curriculum I've prayerfully chosen. He may use friends or neighbors or other family members; or maybe a message at church or a Sunday school lesson. Sometimes He will speak straight from His word. There are countless ways He can teach and speak to my children--and to me! I can't begin to fathom exactly how He will teach my children all they need to know, but He will; His thoughts and His ways are so much higher than mine (Is. 55:9)! What a relief it is to know this great burden does not lie upon my puny little shoulders! I must simply let God use me, and trust Him to teach my children, give them great peace, and establish them on a foundation of righteousness.

