
Oftentimes, I think we as homeschool moms don't place much value on things like support groups. But they are SO important! My church has a great homeschool support group, and I'm so blessed by it. We have meetings once a month; the main focus is offering encouragement and reminding us why we do what we do. Occasionally, our meetings take the form of a couples' dinner, or a holiday party, but always include prayer and encouragement. Various members coordinate group field trips throughout the year for anyone who wants to participate. There are mentoring meetings, too, where more experienced homeschoolers share with newer homeschool moms needing guidance from others who have "been there and done that." Once a year, we have a homeschool moms' retreat. I went last year and was greatly blessed by it -- but this year I have conflicts with the chosen weekend, so I'll have to miss it.
Last night's monthly meeting blessed my socks off. Jeannie Fulbright was our speaker, and she shared exactly what I needed to hear. Isn't it neat how God does that? (I'll have a separate post on her specific message, but the point of this post is to emphasis the importance of support groups.)
Even back in Charlotte Mason's day, there were support groups for parents and teachers. (Karen Andreola's A Charlotte Mason Companion offers more about all this in chapter 47.) Charlotte's magazine Parents' Review provided a great deal of information. The groups became known as the Parents' National Education Union (PNEU), and local chapters popped up all over the United Kingdom, and helped start schools that used the CM method. Teachers for these schools were trained based on Charlotte's philosophy of teaching; this college was nicknamed "The House of the Holy Spirit." I love that, because doesn't that just sum up the essense of teaching our kids? We're to seek God's will for them, and dedicate ourselves to teaching them "in the way they should go." (Prov. 22:6)
I love what Karen Andreola says in regards to homeschool support groups:
I strongly encourage you to find a support group in your area, but choose carefully. Look for one that meets your needs: do you want a group that has lots of events/field trips for the kids, or would you benefit more from the support/encouragement of other moms? You also want to make sure that their beliefs and homeschool philosophy match yours. Our group has a few CM'ers, but regardless of how we school, we all have the same basic beliefs and the same ultimate goal: to raise children that love the Lord. If you can't find a group that is a perfect fit, why not start your own? It doesn't have to be elaborate -- just a few like-minded homeschoolers sharing ideas and encouragment. Either way, you'll be blessed by it!
Last night's monthly meeting blessed my socks off. Jeannie Fulbright was our speaker, and she shared exactly what I needed to hear. Isn't it neat how God does that? (I'll have a separate post on her specific message, but the point of this post is to emphasis the importance of support groups.)
Even back in Charlotte Mason's day, there were support groups for parents and teachers. (Karen Andreola's A Charlotte Mason Companion offers more about all this in chapter 47.) Charlotte's magazine Parents' Review provided a great deal of information. The groups became known as the Parents' National Education Union (PNEU), and local chapters popped up all over the United Kingdom, and helped start schools that used the CM method. Teachers for these schools were trained based on Charlotte's philosophy of teaching; this college was nicknamed "The House of the Holy Spirit." I love that, because doesn't that just sum up the essense of teaching our kids? We're to seek God's will for them, and dedicate ourselves to teaching them "in the way they should go." (Prov. 22:6)
I love what Karen Andreola says in regards to homeschool support groups:
I remind you that there is nothing so potent or powerful as a good idea. It is my intention for each mother to leave the meeting strengthened with an idea of Charlotte's clutched under her arm. A good homeschool can only run well on good ideas.Really, this applies to all homeschoolers, not just those of us who love the CM philosophy. Last night's meeting was evidence of that. A good homeschool needs to run on good ideas, and good ideas often come in the form of encouragement from other homeschool moms -- and always (even if indirectly) from the Holy Spirit.
I strongly encourage you to find a support group in your area, but choose carefully. Look for one that meets your needs: do you want a group that has lots of events/field trips for the kids, or would you benefit more from the support/encouragement of other moms? You also want to make sure that their beliefs and homeschool philosophy match yours. Our group has a few CM'ers, but regardless of how we school, we all have the same basic beliefs and the same ultimate goal: to raise children that love the Lord. If you can't find a group that is a perfect fit, why not start your own? It doesn't have to be elaborate -- just a few like-minded homeschoolers sharing ideas and encouragment. Either way, you'll be blessed by it!

