
My mind, apparently, is ready for a break. I have thirty-thousand things swirling around in there as I try to figure out exactly how I'm going to get into the swing of things with two full-time at-home homeschoolers, since this is Lindsey's last day of classes. I want her -- and all of us -- to love doing school at home, but it will involve some changes and some continued de-programming from nine years in the public school system.
Anyway, for now, we are taking things pretty easy. We're doing things like coloring nifty Dover Nativity "Stained Glass Coloring Book" pages, reading, snuggling, and yes -- we're getting math and all that done, too. Lindsey is looking forward to joining in our country studies and having her own Travel Journal and passport like Kathryn in our Winter Promise "Children Around the World" program. I have almost made the decision to go with Teaching Textbooks for Lindsey's math, but haven't placed the order yet. Feel free to chime in if you have thoughts to share on that.
A little of this week's snuggling.
We are blessed beyond measure, and we all know it, but there are quite a lot of changes going on. They are all good, I think, but we are all feeling some tension. Just to name a few: Lindsey's adoption will be final next week; this is her last day of classes; Kathryn's dad is getting remarried this weekend and that means two new step-siblings as well; the holidays always mean out-of-the-norm visitation schedules; this will be Lindsey's first Christmas with, as she puts it, a "real" family. Even good changes involve some stress. Kathryn and Lindsey had some good sister-time yesterday; Kathryn cried on Lindsey's shoulder and told her she's stressed about all the changes. Lindsey can empathize more than anyone as far as that goes, I believe. Both girls told me about it separately last night, and it warmed my heart. They missed many growing-up years together, so this beginning of a sisterly bond is an answer to prayers. I am also praying that once we have that signed piece of paper in hand saying Lindsey is our daughter, that she will feel more peace and permanence, and will begin to believe more deep-down in her heart that we will not ever leave her.
Anyway, for now, we are taking things pretty easy. We're doing things like coloring nifty Dover Nativity "Stained Glass Coloring Book" pages, reading, snuggling, and yes -- we're getting math and all that done, too. Lindsey is looking forward to joining in our country studies and having her own Travel Journal and passport like Kathryn in our Winter Promise "Children Around the World" program. I have almost made the decision to go with Teaching Textbooks for Lindsey's math, but haven't placed the order yet. Feel free to chime in if you have thoughts to share on that.
A little of this week's snuggling.We are blessed beyond measure, and we all know it, but there are quite a lot of changes going on. They are all good, I think, but we are all feeling some tension. Just to name a few: Lindsey's adoption will be final next week; this is her last day of classes; Kathryn's dad is getting remarried this weekend and that means two new step-siblings as well; the holidays always mean out-of-the-norm visitation schedules; this will be Lindsey's first Christmas with, as she puts it, a "real" family. Even good changes involve some stress. Kathryn and Lindsey had some good sister-time yesterday; Kathryn cried on Lindsey's shoulder and told her she's stressed about all the changes. Lindsey can empathize more than anyone as far as that goes, I believe. Both girls told me about it separately last night, and it warmed my heart. They missed many growing-up years together, so this beginning of a sisterly bond is an answer to prayers. I am also praying that once we have that signed piece of paper in hand saying Lindsey is our daughter, that she will feel more peace and permanence, and will begin to believe more deep-down in her heart that we will not ever leave her.

