18 November 2008

Every Road

And I don’t regret the rain,
And the nights I felt the pain,
And the tears I had to cry some
of those times along the way.
Every road I had to take,
Every time my heart would break -
It was just something that
I had to get through
To get me to you…”

“To Get Me To You” [Hope Floats Soundtrack]

This quote is true of my relationship with Christ. I've explained that more in depth here, but basically, I never truly followed Christ until I'd been "broken." Before that, I believed, but I felt like I was doing an okay job with my life; I talked to God pretty often, but tried my best not to listen to Him. It was the pain and the tears and the broken heart that brought me finally to my knees and to Him. I made big mistakes, but He used them to bring me to Himself. And there are no words to thank Him enough for that.

But this quote also makes me think of my relationship with Ken. Our first dance was to "God Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts. We chose that song because we both felt that God brought us together despite all the screw-ups in our lives. He used those things for good. Ken and I wrote our own vows. We did not collaborate on them, or read each other's before the ceremony, but both of us included something about our broken roads leading to each other, and how that made us appreciate each other so much more because of the potholes in the roads we'd traveled up to that time. We still feel that way, and it's that appreciation for what we have now--appreciation for what God has given us--that gets us through difficulties.


By the way, how d'ya like my swanky new blog design? I'm still tweaking it, but I think it suits me because I love the clothes & hairstyles, the dancing, the movies, the vocabulary, and especially the cheesy advertising of the 1940's & 50's!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top