01 December 2008

Retro Fabulousness (and some Yuck)

We had a memorable Thanksgiving weekend. Some of it on the not-so-fantastic side: on our way home from my in-laws (about 2 hours away) on Thanksgiving evening, Kathryn's dad called to ask about what urgent care places were open because a dog had bitten Kathryn. We arrived at the Children's Healthcare place just a couple minutes after they did. It was a little dog, and the wound (on her leg) did not require stitches, but one deep puncture wound did require washing and a round of antibiotics. This is the second time she's been bitten, which baffles me since she is so good around dogs and not a tail-puller or anything like that. I'm glad we have had sweet dogs so that she knows not all dogs are prone to bite; the bite from a labrador when she was three had her afraid of all dogs but Ellie. I hope we won't go through all of that again.

Now I'm gonna throw a little fun at you, and then I'll relate more from our weekend.

When I was a kid, the highlight of my shopping experience--at K-Mart, if I recollect correctly--was riding the mechanical horse on the way out. For a cowgirl-wannabe, that was a little bit of heaven. Does this elicit squeals of delight from anybody else?horseThe horse, and more retro delights to come, were at the oh-so-swell home of a family we did photos for on Friday. I had SUCH a fun time! More about that in a minute...

My SuperMan and I had plans for a fabulous romantic weekend getaway at a Bed & Breakfast in the North Georgia mountains. We headed up there Friday after our fun photo session, but within two hours of our arrival, I was sick. I'll spare you the details, but it was the opposite of a fun & romantic time. A couple hours later, Ken came down with the same thing. We spent the next 12 hours or so in misery. We came home Saturday morning, as soon as we could possibly stand a car ride on a winding mountain road. I don't know for sure what caused it, but it was wicked, whatever it was. Once home, we napped on and off all day, then went to bed at 6PM and slept til 7AM the next morning! Sunday we were feeling almost human again, and actually succeeding in eating. That was not the kind of togetherness we were planning on, let me tell you! But I suppose the fact that we remained nice to each other, despite how terrible we both felt, is really saying something! And my dear husband was kind enough to venture to the grocery store yesterday in search of food that sounded edible to us both.

Now back to more fun!

I had been told that this family had a soda-shop in their house. "Cute," I'm thinking. But when we pull into the back driveway, I was giddy! They have old coke billboards, and a recreation of an old country store I've actually been to, complete with old gas pumps! It's like Retro Disneyland! As I'm catching my breath from that, we were invited into the house--a beautiful house--to meet everyone. Ken knew the family from years past, but I hadn't met anyone except the daughter, very briefly. Her mom came up and hugged my neck and said she felt like she knew me already from reading my blog, and then said she had something to show me. And oh, my, did she!!!

Warning-- if you love retro things, vintage stuff, and/or Coca-cola memorabilia, then take a deep breath and prepare yourself...




Goodness, y'all! I was like a kid in a candy shop. Or a retro girl in a full-fledged, everything-really-works soda shop!!! There are old BurmaShave ads (like were along the sides of the road) all through the place. Like this one:

His cheek
Was rough
His chick vamoosed
And now she won't
Come home to roost
Burma-Shave

And a real, working 50's refrigerator with the motor on top; the motor runs on ammonia, of all things! And dinette tables complete with salt & pepper/mustard & ketchup/menu holders on each one. And a juke-box! And more old gas pumps! And a barber chair, and a shoe-shine chair! And a Oscar-Meyer wiener ride-on car! And everything you need to make burgers & hot dogs & grilled cheese sandwiches & milkshakes & coke-floats! And they said we can use it anytime for photo location! Wouldn't an engagement session there be just divine? {grin}

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top