I could've titled this one, "Intentional Appearance" since this is really another part of my quest to live intentionally. For instance, I'm growing my hair out because it's less expensive for me to have longer hair (less frequent haircuts) and because my husband likes it better longer--though, truly, I could shave my head and he'd still tell me I'm beautiful. Love that guy! I stopped coloring it over a year ago because of the cost, and because it was drying out my hair. Besides, those silver hairs add character--or, at least that's what I'm telling myself! In the past few years, my clothing choices have gradually been changing; it just doesn't feel right to wear bikini swimsuits or short-shorts. (Makes me want to sing the song from that commercial. Remember that? "If you dare wear short-shorts, Nair for short-shorts. But I digress...)
Lately I've been thinking much more seriously about the issue of modesty. When I was a teenager and young woman, I decided that having power over men felt better than a broken heart. I found that I had great control over them by stirring up their lust. My sinful, selfish nature like that, so my clothing became more revealing and if flirtation had been an Olympic sport, I'd have earned a gold medal. I spent years causing men to sin in their hearts, and often in their actions, too. I didn't understand the implications of causing others to sin; I didn't know how badly I was hurting myself; I didn't realize all that I was taking away from my future husband. And I had no idea how badly I was breaking God's heart.
It took many years for me to fully understand. Just this week God brought a fresh level of understanding about how deep my sin had been. (Please read this, too.) Though I have repented about these things, and though I know God has forgiven me, I never want to forget this sorrow, in hopes that I might be able to steer others away from these kinds of mistakes. I tearfully apologized to my husband a few days ago because I suddenly realized just how much should have been his, but I took those things from him. I don't plan to stifle my God-given enthusiastic personality and I still like to look attractive--partly for myself, but also so that my husband finds me attractive and is proud to have me by his side. However, I never want to cause another man to stumble, so now I consider what I wear and how I act, and I have a fresh appreciation and understanding of why modesty is so very important. I encourage you to truly consider how you present yourself, but I don't think there should ever be a "list" of what is appropriate to do or to wear because it is a heart issue, and should never become a legalistic matter.
No one ever wakes up and randomly decides to make this the day they become a thief or adulterer or alcoholic or anything like that. To quote a favorite Casting Crown's song, "People never crumble in a day; it's a slow fade." It's a gradual process that happens bit by bit, and begins with allowing sinful thoughts to creep in and stay there. It comes from not holding every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4). Another line from the song says, "The journey from your mind to your hands is shorter than you're thinking." I can attest to the verity of that song because I have lived it.

Lately I've been thinking much more seriously about the issue of modesty. When I was a teenager and young woman, I decided that having power over men felt better than a broken heart. I found that I had great control over them by stirring up their lust. My sinful, selfish nature like that, so my clothing became more revealing and if flirtation had been an Olympic sport, I'd have earned a gold medal. I spent years causing men to sin in their hearts, and often in their actions, too. I didn't understand the implications of causing others to sin; I didn't know how badly I was hurting myself; I didn't realize all that I was taking away from my future husband. And I had no idea how badly I was breaking God's heart.
It took many years for me to fully understand. Just this week God brought a fresh level of understanding about how deep my sin had been. (Please read this, too.) Though I have repented about these things, and though I know God has forgiven me, I never want to forget this sorrow, in hopes that I might be able to steer others away from these kinds of mistakes. I tearfully apologized to my husband a few days ago because I suddenly realized just how much should have been his, but I took those things from him. I don't plan to stifle my God-given enthusiastic personality and I still like to look attractive--partly for myself, but also so that my husband finds me attractive and is proud to have me by his side. However, I never want to cause another man to stumble, so now I consider what I wear and how I act, and I have a fresh appreciation and understanding of why modesty is so very important. I encourage you to truly consider how you present yourself, but I don't think there should ever be a "list" of what is appropriate to do or to wear because it is a heart issue, and should never become a legalistic matter.
No one ever wakes up and randomly decides to make this the day they become a thief or adulterer or alcoholic or anything like that. To quote a favorite Casting Crown's song, "People never crumble in a day; it's a slow fade." It's a gradual process that happens bit by bit, and begins with allowing sinful thoughts to creep in and stay there. It comes from not holding every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4). Another line from the song says, "The journey from your mind to your hands is shorter than you're thinking." I can attest to the verity of that song because I have lived it.


