"Take the first step in faith.
You don't have to see the whole staircase.
Just take the first step."
Martin Luther King, Jr
About an hour and a half away from where I live is a state park called Amicalola Falls. In the Cherokee language, amicalola means "tumbling waters." It's easy to see why.
The falls are 729 feet high. One of the most amazing aspects of these great falls is that such power comes from a seemingly slow, gentle, and fairly small river. In fact, I'd call it merely a creek, rather than a river. If I had a good running start, I could jump most of the way across the creek. Just think of all that hidden power. I think that's how we are. Only the Lord knows what we're capable of, and what kind of great things we can accomplish if we let Him use us, even when we appear -- to ourselves and others -- as ordinary.
There are 600 stairs that lead up & down alongside the falls. I was on a retreat at this great park over the weekend, and on Saturday, I went to see these breath-taking falls. When I started down those 600 stairs, I couldn't really see them all, but I knew it was a LONG way down. I didn't plan to go all the way because I did not think my legs or my out-of-shape lungs could handle it. I decided I'd start down, and stop when I got tired. After taking a little break, though, I realized how much more I could see if I kept going, so I decided to go just a little bit farther. Then I saw a rainbow in the mist at the top of the falls, and I wanted a better look, so I went still farther. After climbing down 425 stairs (No, I didn't count; a sign told me how many there are!), I reached the bridge that crosses just below the biggest cascade of the series of waterfalls. I stood for a while on the bridge just taking in the beauty all around me, then decided to go the remaining 175 steps beyond the bridge so I could see the falls from a different vantage point.
Every time I'm out in God's creation, I feel so small compared to the vastness of the trees and the mountains and things like 729-foot waterfalls. At the same time, though, I always feel close to God when I take the time to admire what He's created, and to remember that He not only created me, but He loves me so much that He died -- for me!
After catching my breath, I headed back up all 600 stairs. At the top, I looked back towards the west, where the mountains showed why they are called the Blue Ridge, and the setting sun painted the sky varying shades of pink and orange. My legs were jelly, I was really out of breath, and my heart was pounding, but if I hadn't taken those stairs, I would have missed so much. I believe that's how it is in life. We must depend completely upon Christ. When I can't see the staircase, I have to hold His hand and let Him guide me. I don't even have to be willing (yet!) to go all the way, but I do have to make the decision to take that first step. He can't make me -- it has to be my choice. As I trust Him, He'll show me things that make me want to keep going, holding his hand all the while. When I get to where He wanted me to go, I'll be so glad I did it, even if I'm out of breath and ever-so-tired. It will all be worth it.
Over the past week or so, as we look for answers & guidance about our adoption, I have said several times that I'd love to have crystal ball to see into the future. The thing about that crystal ball, though, is that even if I could know the future, I probably couldn't handle it. God gives me what I need for today. Only today. Not tomorrow or next week or next year. When I get to the next day, He'll give me all I need for that day.
We don't need to count the stairs. We don't need to know how long it will take us to climb them all. We just have to take that first step, leaning on God and letting him lead us.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6


