15 May 2009

Intentions

It's the thought that counts. Or is it? This came up in a conversation with friends last night.

Now, when it comes to gift-giving, I absolutely do believe it's the thought that counts. In fact, I even wrote a blog post about that for my birthday last year. I'd love to know you spent time thinking about what I'd really like, even if you don't spend a dime on it; homemade gifts are great! If you go buy a "nice", expensive gift without giving more than a fleeting thought to whether or not I'd really like it, that's not showing me you care. So yes, it is the thought that counts.

BUT...
in relation to the other things of life, is it the thought that counts? My friend used the example of sending me a condolence card: is thinking about sending it the same as actually putting it in the mail? I have the best of intentions about exercising, but is all that "meaning to" getting me in shape? If I'm concerned about divorce statistics but do nothing to encourage my friends in their marriages, am I helping in any way? When I intend to spend quality time with my husband, or my daughter, but then get caught up in distractions and don't do it, am I doing anything to strengthen our relationships?

The answer to all of the above? NOPE.

In order to truly "make the most of the time" (Ephesians 5:16), I have to follow through with those good intentions. Intentional living is worthless if all I have is the intentional part, and skip the living part.

What about you? Do you live out your good intentions?

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top