06 July 2009

The Real Deal

We watched the movie Fireproof again on Friday night. In it, there is a scene where two guys are talking about one of their coworkers, who is a Christian. The two guys don't share the faith of their Christian friend, but they both agree he is "the real deal."

Saturday evening, after we returned home from an afternoon with family (I'll do a separate post about what we did over this holiday weekend), I got a NILMDTS call from a mom whose baby had just passed away (at birth). We headed to the hospital right away.

The baby's grandmother and a family friend were at the hospital with the mom. They were all so thankful that we came out on a holiday, and told us we were wonderful people for doing this. As they said these things, I thought, I want to be "the real deal." Even if I don't have an opportunity to witness with words, I want my life to reflect Christ. I don't want to be a Christian who sits on the sidelines. I claim to be a Christ follower, so my life should look different than those who don't. I'm still human, and I won't ever do things perfectly, but if I give my whole self to Christ, and submit to Him anew each day, then I can glorify Him with my life.

Yesterday's sermon continued along these lines. If we claim to be Christian, we must serve the Lord sincerely and wholeheartedly. No straddling the fence; no Sunday-only Christianity; no other idols like materialism, success, or "the god of personal autonomy," which is doing whatever we want, even if it's not pleasing to God, just because it's what pleases us. Lukewarm Christians make Jesus want to vomit (Rev. 3:15-17). We all have a choice to make: who--or what--we will serve?

I've made my choice...
As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.


  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top